View on the monument to the Soviet Constitution



ID number:
00848
Title:
View on the monument to the Soviet Constitution
City:
Description:

The monument to the Soviet constitution, or the Stalin Constitution, was built in October 1939. The authors were the sculptor Serhyi Lytvynenko and Kyiv artist Mykhailo Dmytrenko, it’s possible that, the artists adapted the project, originally conceived in Moscow, to the new city conditions. The sculptors Yevhen Dzyndra and Andryi Koverko carried out the project, but the participation of Lytvynenko’s student the young sculptor Yakov Chaika is also a possibility. The monument was made in the ceramic-sculpture factory, which opened on Muchni st in 1939. The location for the monument was chosen in the city centre, the “island” on the boundary mark of the Hetman embankments, between Yahellon’ska st. and Holy Spirit square (now Hnatiuka st. and I. Pidkova sq.) The current monument, made of cement on a wooden skeleton, presented a huge vertical composition in the image of a column, fitted with red flags. In the lower part there were figures of a Red Army man, worker, mother with child, students and an old Hutsul with a boy. The cement figures and signs in Ukrainian, Polish and Yiddish symbolized the brotherhood of nations in accordance with the articles of the Stalin constitution. On June 30th 1941, German armies took over the city. Was it but not on this very day that the cement monument was broken and its pieces poured into holes and hollows which had been caused by the German bombardment of Lviv.

Subject:
1st of May street, monument to the Soviet Constitution, tram track, passersby
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1940
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01918
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
ID: 01901
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Juliusz Rodkowski
Publisher: Printing House "Narodowa", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Zamkova ("Castle") hill, park, memorial boulder for King Jan III Sobieski
ID: 10416
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Plakat", Moscow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Royal Arsenal, Dominican Church, square
ID: 01413
City: Lviv
Date: 1984
Format: 10x20 cm
Creator: Borys Mindel
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: There are no Known Restrictions on the Usage of this Image
Subject: Monument, Mitskevycha Square, buildings No. 8-9-10, Roman Catholic Cathedral
ID: 09737
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park, Ivan Franko University in Lviv
ID: 00842
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakivska Street, monument to the Tank Guardsmen, people
ID: 01962
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1970
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Sculpture, platform, Lychakiv Park, kiosk, people
ID: 12135
City: Lviv
Date: 1973
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: cemetery, grave, people, officer
ID: 01560
City: Lviv
Date: 1911
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Model of Smolka monument by sculptor Błotnicki
The monument to the Stalin Constitution was constructed in 1940 on the “island”  at the intersection of today's Svobody Boulevard, Hnatiuka Street, and Sviatoho Dukha Square. The monument was made of plywood and covered in concrete. The friendship of the peoples was symbolized by figures that stood in the lower part of the composition, which consisted of five columns. These were cement figures of a Red Army soldier, a worker, a mother with child, a female student, an a villager with a boy. The monument also bore inscriptions in Ukrainian, Polish and Hebrew.