Adam Mickiewicz Column and Former Sprecher Building



ID number:
00840
Title:
Adam Mickiewicz Column and Former Sprecher Building
City:
Description:

The photograph dated January 2, 1947 represents a view of the Adam Mickiewicz monument from the western side of the square. The monument to Adam Mickiewicz is one of the favorite objects of photographers of Lviv, both professional and amateur, starting from the very day of its opening. Mariacka Square (former Ferdinand Square), in the center of which the monument was erected, was named after the prominent Polish poet in December of 1944. Around the monument are stairs and a balustrade that were constructed around 1907 in accordance with the project of architect Teodor Talowski; flower beds were designed by the local parks inspector Arnold Rering. Behind the monument one can see building No. 8 on Mickiewicz Square. Over the central entrance of the building’s first floor there is a sign that says "Lviv Railway Ticket Office" (until the middle of the 1950’s it housed the railway advance ticket sale office which was later transferred to St. Anne’s Cathedral on the intersection of Horodotska and Shevchenko Streets). The building is decorated with a five-point star with a portrait of I. Stalin in the middle; it is possible that it was illuminated during the evening hours. Shop windows that look a little archaic are also noticeable on the first floor – they were replaced in the middle of the 1960’s when the building was reconstructed to host the Book Store (it is still located there).  

Subject:
Monument, Mickiewicz square, former Sprecher Building, decoration elements, shop windows
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1947
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00853
City: Lviv
Date: 1977
Format: Unknown
Creator: E. Kalika
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Monument, Melnychuka Square, green area
ID: 09707
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Vasyl Pylypjuk
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 01881
City: Lviv
Date: 1902-1903
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Rommler & Jonas, Dresden
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fredro monument, green area, city construction, Mochnackiego street
ID: 01423
City: Lviv
Date: 1904-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Statue of the Virgin Mary, Mariacka Sq., city greenery, people, pavement
ID: 00529
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Fountain, City Savings office, Latin Cathedral
ID: 01592
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1935
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Sculpture, well, square, bulidings
ID: 10190
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1985
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park, Ivan Franko University in Lviv
ID: 00852
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: E. Kalika
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Monument, square, Culture Palace, city growth, people
ID: 00578
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 9,5х13,5 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Monument, bridge, people on the street, kerosene lamp, buildings

The monument to the national Polish poet was opened on 30 October 1904. Its construction was carried out from late 1903 under the supervision of Alfred Zachariewicz and Józef Sosnowski. The author of the project, who won an architectural competition, was Antoni Popiel, a famous sculptor. Earlier, there was a figure of the Virgin Mary on its place.