Svobody avenue



ID number:
08399
Title:
Svobody avenue
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Adolf Hitler square, public garden, Opera house, tram line, stop, advertising, architectural form
Creator:
Bronislaw Kupiec
Publisher:
Press №1, Lviv
Date:
1939-1942
Format:
100х150 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In German: LEMBERG. Adolf Hitler-Platz.
Verlag und Druck: Druckerei Nr. 1. Lemberg.
Aufn.: B. Kupiec. Alle Rechte vorbehalten. Gen. 1044 - 181241.
In Ukrainian: Львів. Площа Адольфа Гітлера.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08967
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: LMKP "Lviv Vodokanal" Archive
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, church, trading, cinema, roadwork, people
ID: 08959
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, exhibition, pavilions, cinema
Unknown
ID: 12817
City: Unknown
Date: 1937-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, cinema, film, poster
ID: 07966
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Lychakivska street, buildings, cinema, architecture, people
ID: 08968
City: Lviv
Date: 1912-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, buildings, architecture, house, cinema
ID: 08956
City: Lviv
Date: 1902-1905
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, cinema, coffee shop
ID: 13743
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: street, building, film, cinema, barel'ef
ID: 08958
City: Lviv
Date: 1895-1900
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Streets, church, buildings, cinema, transport, people
ID: 09634
City: Vynnyky
Date: 1975-1980
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Roman Davyd
Subject: Street, buildings, cinema
The Prospect Svobody Promenade – formerly, the Hetman Ramparts – was laid in on top of the western section of the historic defensive fortifications that ringed Lviv. The walls were pulled down sometime around 1776 and put into public service of the city. In the first half of the 19th century, parallel streets were established on the eastern and western banks of the Poltva River, and landscaped in rows of poplar; the streets would one day become the boulevard that is Prospect Svobody. In the late 1880s, arched bridges spanned the gap between Maryatska Square (currently, Mickiewicz Square) and Golukhovska Square (currently, Torhova Square). Between 1888-1890, under the direction of Arnold Röhring, the area enclosing the underground river channel was planted in trees and flowerbeds.

The grand opening of the monument to the King of Poland took place on November 20, 1898. The monument was made by the famous Lviv sculptor Tadeusz Baroncz. After World War II, in 1950, the monument was moved to Poland where for almost twenty years it was located in Wilanowski Park in Warsaw while discussion continued about its appropriate location. In 1987 the monument to Jan III Sobieski was ceremonially unveiled on Wooden Market in Gdansk.