Near Adam Mickiewicz Monument



ID number:
00839
Title:
Near Adam Mickiewicz Monument
City:
Description:

June 1949, the monument to Adam Mickiewicz, one of the favorite objects of photographers of Lviv – both professional and amateur – ever since the day of its grand opening on October 30, 1904. This is the view of the monument from the western side of the square. Mariacka Square, in the center of which the monument was erected, was built and officially opened in 1843 as Ferdinand Square; beginning in 1862 it was called Mariacka Square; during the German occupation it was called Marienplatz; in December, 1944 it was named after the prominent Polish poet. Around the monument are stairs and a balustrade that were constructed around 1907 in accordance with the project of architect Theodore Talowski; flower beds were designed by the local parks inspector Arnold Rering. Behind the monument one can see building No. 8 on Mickiewicz Square. Over the central entrance of the building’s first floor there is a sign that says "Lviv Railway Ticket Office" (until the middle of the 1950’s it housed the railway advance ticket sale office which was later transferred to St. Anne’s Cathedral on the intersection of Horodotska and Shevchenko Streets).

Subject:
Monument, Miczkiewicz Square, people, military people, sign on a building, electric lanterns
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1949
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 09732
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Museum, monument
ID: 10662
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 02749
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1910
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: G. Hutter, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, monument, Volksgarten, park
ID: 01241
City: Lviv
Date: 1909-1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Mickiewicz monument, Mitskevycha Square, buildings, renovation works
ID: 03929
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Maryna Kursanova
Subject: Monument, public garden, administration building, people
ID: 09797
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument to Ivan Franko, green area, square
ID: 00246
City: Lviv
Date: 1968
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Monument, woman, sculpture
ID: 01278
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1961
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: I. Masko
Publisher: Ukrfoto, Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument to the Tank Guards
ID: 00867
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 9х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument, Mitskevycha Square, buildings No. 9-10, children, street light

The monument to the national Polish poet was opened on 30 October 1904. Its construction was carried out from late 1903 under the supervision of Alfred Zachariewicz and Józef Sosnowski. The author of the project, who won an architectural competition, was Antoni Popiel, a famous sculptor. Earlier, there was a figure of the Virgin Mary on its place.