View of St. Paraskevia Piatnytsia Church



ID number:
00630
Title:
View of St. Paraskevia Piatnytsia Church
City:
Description:
The postcard presents a view of one of the oldest churches in Lviv – the St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia Church in Zhovkivska St. (now 77 Bohdan Khmelnytskyi St.). The Piatnytsia Church was built in 1644 on the site of the original church, which dated back to the times of the Galician Principality (thirteenth century). Construction was funded by a Wallachian (Moldavian) lord Vasyl Lupul, father-in-law to Tymosh Khmelynytskyi, the son of the Cossack Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytskyi, which is evidenced by his coat of arms in stone on the southern wall, depicting the sun, the moon, and a crown. In the late eighteenth century the church was painted by the famous Lviv artist Luka Dolynskyi. The Piatnytsia Church acquired its present-day appearance after a renovation in 1885. In 1908 a new cupola construction was added to the quadrilateral bell tower. The Piatnytsia Church is the only one in Lviv to still preserve its original iconostasis (about 70 icons by artist F. Senkovych or his apprentices).
Subject:
St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia Church, Zhovkivska St., tram tracks
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Printing House of W.A.Szyjkowski, Lwow
Date:
1914-1915
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Polish: Lwów - Cerkiew Św. Paraskewii. Drukarnia W.A.Szyjkowskiego we Lwowie
In Russian: Львовъ - Церковь Св. Парасковіи

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00411
City: Lviv
Date: 2nd half of the XIXth Century
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: View on church from Zhovkivska Street
ID: 13078
City: Pochaiv
Date: 1916
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: sacral building, war, monastery, panorama
ID: 13782
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, people, religious building, architecture, church, tower, street light, tram
ID: 13077
City: Pochaiv
Date: 1916
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: sacral building, war, monastery, panorama
ID: 13076
City: Pochaiv
Date: 1916
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: sacral building, war, mosaic
ID: 01446
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1900-1920
Format: 7,5х10,5 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, neighborhood of the Cathedral of the Birth of the Mother of God
ID: 01359
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 18х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Pidvalna Street, church, Kornyakta tower, "Dnister" House
ID: 00630
City: Lviv
Date: 1914-1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Printing House of W.A.Szyjkowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: St. Paraskeva Piatnytsia Church, Zhovkivska St., tram tracks
ID: 02728
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1928
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Gee Haa
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Geek Orthodox Cathedral
The late Gothic elements are united with the traditions of Ukrainian and Moldovan-Valakhian sacral building in the architecture of the church. The later additions are connected with the influence of the Revival architecture (the cupola of the tower). The church is constructed in the oldest part of the city on the foundation of a church from the thirteenth-fourteenth centuries. The location of the object outside of the city’s fortifications explains features of a defence building in its architecture. The construction and further reconstructions date back to 1643-1645, 1908 (restoration and the tower's new topping off) and 1950 (restoration).