Monuments on Svobody avenue



ID number:
05903
Title:
Monuments on Svobody avenue
City:
Description:
In the early December of 1939 a monument to Stalin’s Friendship of Nations was placed on Hetmanski Valy (Hetman’s ramparts) street, on the axis of the main walking alley, not far from the well with the Mother of God statue. It was a figure composition decorated with red flags and the emblems of the Soviet republics. A 20-meter-high obelisk was added to this sculptural composition in the early 1940. On the opinion of Yuriy Biriuliov, an art critic and expert in Lviv sculpture, here again, as it was in the case of the monument to Stalin’s Constitution, the authors of the idea were sculptor Serhiy Lytvynenko and Mykhailo Dmytrenko, an artist from Kyiv; the idea was realized by sculptors Yevhen Dzyndra and Andriy Koverko.
Subject:
Monument to Jan III Sobieski, street, people
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1940
Format:
4x9
Copyright:
Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 12104
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: people, school, children, schoolchildren, monument, portrait
ID: 09677
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Park, alley, monument, sculpture, people
ID: 01859
City: Lviv
Date: 1977
Format: Unknown
Creator: Valentin Kleyner
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Valentin Kleyner
Subject: Monument, grand opening, people, Royal Arsenal
ID: 10387
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Plakat", Moscow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 09707
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Vasyl Pylypjuk
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 02948
City: Lviv
Date: 1946-1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Monument, tank, Lenin street, tram, city panorama, people
ID: 01947
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Franciszek Smolka, Smolka square, Krajowy bank, Slovatskoho street
ID: 01571
City: Lviv
Date: 1940
Format: 9х6 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: 1st of May Street, Yahellon’ska St, Latin Cathedral, women
ID: 00812
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakiv cemetery, trees, Maria Konopnicka monument, pioneers, flowers
The Prospect Svobody Promenade – formerly, the Hetman Ramparts – was laid in on top of the western section of the historic defensive fortifications that ringed Lviv. The walls were pulled down sometime around 1776 and put into public service of the city. In the first half of the 19th century, parallel streets were established on the eastern and western banks of the Poltva River, and landscaped in rows of poplar; the streets would one day become the boulevard that is Prospect Svobody. In the late 1880s, arched bridges spanned the gap between Maryatska Square (currently, Mickiewicz Square) and Golukhovska Square (currently, Torhova Square). Between 1888-1890, under the direction of Arnold Röhring, the area enclosing the underground river channel was planted in trees and flowerbeds.

The grand opening of the monument to the King of Poland took place on November 20, 1898. The monument was made by the famous Lviv sculptor Tadeusz Baroncz. After World War II, in 1950, the monument was moved to Poland where for almost twenty years it was located in Wilanowski Park in Warsaw while discussion continued about its appropriate location. In 1987 the monument to Jan III Sobieski was ceremonially unveiled on Wooden Market in Gdansk.