Buildings of the Lviv Polytechnical Institute



ID number:
00590
Title:
Buildings of the Lviv Polytechnical Institute
City:
Description:

The St. Theresa Institution, founded in 1860, joined several charity institutions led by the Nuns of the Order of the Divine Providence, including a women’s correctional facility (active since 1850), a seamstress’ shop, a boarding school for girls (since 1858), the St. Sophia Hospital for indigent children (active in 1860-1878). The founding of the institution (1848) was initiated by Countess Jadwiga of Zamojski-Sapiega, the wife of Count Leon Sapiega, to honour the memory of her prematurely deceased daughter. The central building, housing the chapel of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (today S. Bandera St., 32-34), was constructed in 1860-1862 by architect Józef Franz. Sophia of Fredr-Szeptycka herself painted the icon of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception for the chapel. During the First World War the Institution housed a Red Cross Hospital. The nuns abandoned Lviv after World War II, and their former Institution now houses deparments of the Lviv Polytechnical Institute.

Subject:
St. Tereza hospital
Creator:
Josef Eder
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1860-1870
Format:
10х14 cm
Copyright:
Lviv Historical Museum
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Truskavec
ID: 03312
City: Truskavec
Date: 1934
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Sztuka", Krakow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Resort, pool, recreation, entertainment
ID: 03316
City: Truskavec
Date: 1935
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Sztuka", Krakow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Resort, sanatorium, military, architecture
Chernivtsi
ID: 02760
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1903
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Siebenbürgerstrasse, Landeskrankenanstalt, Hospital
ID: 01315
City: Lviv
Date: 1916
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Hospital, surgery, doctors, personnel
ID: 03323
City: Truskavec
Date: 1912
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Hydrotherapy clinic, pavilion
Lviv
ID: 11088
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Doctor
ID: 00634
City: Lviv
Date: 1911
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: The Invalids House
ID: 00723
City: Zaleshchyky
Date: 1925-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, building, Bajka ("Fairy-tale") boarding house, fence
Truskavec
ID: 03310
City: Truskavec
Date: 1932
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Sztuka", Krakow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Resort, pool, therapeutic waters