The Monument to St. George



ID number:
00059
Title:
The Monument to St. George
City:
Description:

A modern photograph to St. Yuriy (Georgiy) Zmiyeborets (Dragon Fighter) , put up in Grygorenka square (former Smolka square) in 1999 (sculptors A. and V. Sukhorski). The monument is situated in front of the modern building of Ministry of Internal Affairs and is the homage to all who perished in the struggle with crime. Till 1946 in this place a monument to Franciszek Smolka, a famous Polish politician, who lived in one of the buildings in this square (#4) was situated. The photo of the monument was taken from the back, so that the perspective of Grygorenko square to the direction of the central part of the city is well seen.

 

Subject:
Smolka Square, monument
Creator:
Richard Gatward
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
2003
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Richard Gatward
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01885
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 11х8 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument, Lychakivskyi Park, former Church of the Mother of God of Ostrobramska
ID: 01084
City: Lviv
Date: 10.05.1954
Format: 9х5,5 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Subject: Fountain, Mickiewicz Sq., group of people, Mickiewicz Monument, lamp-post, Miczkiewicz Sq., buildings No. 10-11, No. 15 in Halytska Sq.
ID: 01881
City: Lviv
Date: 1902-1903
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Rommler & Jonas, Dresden
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fredro monument, green area, city construction, Mochnackiego street
ID: 01585
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Fountain, Rynok Square
ID: 09734
City: Lviv
Date: 1940-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Hill of Glory, soldiers-tank
ID: 01588
City: Lviv
Date: 1912-1914
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fountain, Neptune, Rynok square, Latin cathedral, Southwestern corner of the square, № 22-23-24 buildings
ID: 07888
City: Kyiv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 15x10 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Mountain, Dnipro, monument, sculpture, monument of culture
ID: 05903
City: Lviv
Date: 1940
Format: 4x9
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Jan III Sobieski, street, people
ID: 03551
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Memorial sign

The monument to St. George the Dragon Slayer was erected on Hryhorenka Square (former Smolky Square) in 1999 by sculptors Andriy and Volodymyr Sukhorski). The monument rises in front of the current building of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Ukraine and is dedicated to the memory of all those who have died in the fight against crime. Until 1946 a monument to Franciszek Smolka, local Polish liberal politician who lived in a building on this square (number 4) was located here.  

This large residential townhouse, whose style can be defined as a version of the modernized Neo-Classicism of the first half of the 1910s, was built in the central part of the city in 1912-1914 under a project designed by architects Józef Piątkowski and Maksymilian Burstin. The house is notable for its complicated original layout and had to become a part of a new shopping passage. A complex of spacious luxury apartments and a cinema were arranged inside. Today, Lviv Academic Theater "Voskresinnia" performs here.


The residential building was constructed on the Northwestern side of the square in 1890. It was one of the first buildings that formed the square. It has mostly preserved its authentic form in accordance with the original architectural design. The portals of the first floor were rebuilt according to a project from 1938 by the architect Zygmunt Schmucker. It is an example of the late historicist architecture.