Former Armenian Catholic Church



ID number:
03883
Title:
Former Armenian Catholic Church
City:
Description:
The photo shows the church of the Armenian Catholics. It was built in style combining byzantine, romanesque and gothic elements, most likely by the architect Josef Hlavka, and consecrated in 1875 to the Apostles Peter an Paul.
The oldest Armenian settlements in the southern Bukowina date back to the 14th c. After the annexation of the Bukowina by Austria in 1774, Catholic Armenians (Uniates) moved in from the Galician capital of L’viv (Lemberg) which was home to an old and significant Armenian community. An Amenian-Catholic parish was founded in 1836. The church on the photo was built in a time when the Armenian community was not only very small but almost entirely assimilated to the Polish community of Chernivtsi. In 1910 Chernivtsi was home to 311 Armenian Catholics and 31 Armenian Orthodox. Among them were wealthy and well respected merchants and landowners. The church was the only place to cultivate and remember on own Armenian traditions and identity. It was used as a warehouse in Soviet times and serves as a concert hall today. In the background the Greek-Orthodox Cathredral can be seen.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1905-1914
Format:
120х60 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 10160
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Chapel
ID: 08626
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, church, bell tower, line, tram, people
ID: 10422
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Plakat", Moscow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Chapel, Latin-rite Cathedral, house, Halytska St., tower, city hall tower
ID: 13774
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, city, religious buildings, architecture, building, church, people
ID: 01030
City: Lviv
Date: 1946
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Assumption Church, Ruska Street, Pidvalna Street, green area
ID: 09092
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 17х10 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Uspenska church, Korniakta tower, Triokh Sviatyteliv chapel, courtyard, buildings
ID: 00242
City: Lviv
Date: Post-War period, Communist Rule (1946-1990)
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Church, Kryvchytsi
ID: 02340
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, architecture, chapel
ID: 02117
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1939
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Chapel, portal, architecture, sculpture