Former Governor’s House



ID number:
03856
Title:
Former Governor’s House
City:
Description:
When the Bukovina was annexed by Austria in 1775, there were about 2000 people living in Chernivtsi, all in wooden houses. The photo shows the so called Generalshaus, the residence of the military govenor of the Bukovina. It was the first stone house in Chernivtsi, erected in 1780, and home of the military administration and the court. Later the house was used for other military purposes and remains basically unchanged to this day.
The street it stands on was named after Karl von Enzenberg, head of the military administration of the Bukowina from 1778 to 1786. Before that it was called Lemberger Strasse, being part of the oldest and most important road in the Bukowina, the so called “Reichsstraße” (Imperial Road) coming from Lviv (Lemberg) in the north, going towards the southern Bukowina to Suceava (Suczawa) and from there westwards ascross the Carpathian mountains into Siebenbürgen (Transylvania).
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse, Main Street, Generalshaus
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900-1910
Format:
120х170 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 09786
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Rynok Square, House of Lviv City Council
ID: 03722
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1909-1914
Format: 85x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: A. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Streets, Hospital, Public Buildings, Railway Station, Theatre
ID: 01354
City: Lviv
Date: 1892
Format: 8,5х12 cm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Batorego Street, Palace of Justice, sculptures by L. Marconi
ID: 00648
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Batory St., court building, lamp-post, passers-by
ID: 02538
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 26х38 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Fire station
ID: 00740
City: Uzhgorod
Date: 1938-1943
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Weinstock, Budapest
Copyright: Rostyslav Tatomyr
Subject: County administration
ID: 00642
City: Lviv
Date: 1927-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Juliusz Rodkowski
Publisher: Printing House "Narodowa", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Railway Administration Building, park, electric lamp-post, passers-by
ID: 02773
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1907
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: S.W., Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Palace of Justice, Fish square
ID: 01324
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Charnetskoho street, administrative buildings, vicegerency, people