Entrance to Olga Kobylianska Street

ID number:
Entrance to Olga Kobylianska Street
The postcard shows the view from the Ringplatz (Central square) into the Herrengasse (Strada Jancu Flondor), the most fancy boulevard of the city, today named after the Ukrainian poet Olga Kobylianska. The building to the left still dates back to the first half of the 19th c. when a ‘first generation’ of stone houses was built in the Ringplatz (Central square). Only in the 1930s, when the whole building was taken over by a bank, it was raised by one storey. Today it houses the local office of the Ukrainian National Bank. The building with the little tower next to it was built in 1898 and called house Zu den drei Kronen, after one of the first hotels situated on that site in 1786. It housed one of the most fancy Cafes, called Cafe Habsburg in the Austrian era and Cafe Grand in Romanian times. The house on the other side of the Herrengasse was the Hotel and restaurant Belle Vue, before the Banca de Est moved in in the Romanian period. The corner building to be seen in the Herrengasse was home to another fancy coffee house, the Cafe de l’Europe.

Helmut Kusdat
Czernowitz, Herrengasse, Cafe Habsburg
Leon König, Czernowitz
85x135 mm
Helmut Kusdat
On obverse:
In German: Gruss aus Czernowitz, Cafe Habsburg. Verlag v. Leon König, Papierhandlg., Czernowitz.
On reverse:
In German: Correspondenz Karte.
In Romanian: Carta postala.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.


ID: 00825
City: Lviv
Date: 1969
Format: Unknown
Creator: I. Sveryda
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Leninskoho Komsomolu Blvd., buildings, decorative stella, youths
ID: 03228
City: Lviv
Date: 1907
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leopold Weisz, Budapest
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, "Dnister" bank, Uspenska church, Korniakta tower, city hall
ID: 02655
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Drukarnia Narodna", Lwow
Copyright: Museum of Ancient Handwritten Ukrainian Book Art LAG
Subject: Szymonowiczów Street, boarding school of the Mutual Help Society of Private Officials in Lwów
ID: 06209
City: Lviv
Date: 1987-1990
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, paving, people
ID: 03858
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1897-1910
Format: 80х110 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Petrowicz Gasse, Armenian Catholic Church
ID: 08044
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Street, buildings, square, transport, theater, lanterns,
ID: 13126
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, people, architecture, building
ID: 02382
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1955
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Former church of Our Lady of Ostra Brama, Lenina Street, city growth, street lights, truck, Tank Guardsment monument
ID: 01327
City: Lviv
Date: 1898-1900
Format: 12х18 cm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Sokoła Street, Sokół society, people, flag