Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross



ID number:
03731
Title:
Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross
City:
Description:
The postcards shows the Roman Catholic church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in the Main street (Enzenberg Hauptstrasse) in Chernivtsi. The first roman catholic parish was founded in Chernivtsi in 1786. Then, just a small minority of mainly Austrian civil servants and military were catholics. Being part of Galicia until 1849, many Poles moved to the Bukowina. Together with German settlers they formed the catholic community. First services were held in a wooden chapel, in 1814 the Roman Catholic church was consecrated. It was also used by the Greek-Catholic and the Armenian-Catholic community until they built their own churches. In 1910 Chernivtsi counted 23.000 Catholic inhabitants, 27% of its total population. After the second World War, when most of the Germans and Poles had left the Bukowina, only about 2000 Catholics remained in Chernivtsi. Nevertheless, the church functioned throughout the Soviet period. Thanks to that, the interior with its seven altars and stained glass windows could be preserved. The church is now used mainly by the small Polish comminuty. The pointed roof on the tower shown on the postcard was replaced by todays round one in 1909/10.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900-1910
Format:
85x135 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01829
City: Lviv
Date: 1847
Format: 16,5х23,9 сm, 22,2х28,8 сm
Creator: Teofil Żychowicz
Publisher: Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Cathedral, belfry, Campians chapel, carriage, Katedralna Square
ID: 01246
City: Lviv
Date: 1917
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church of St. Elizabeth, architecture, square
ID: 00459
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Teodor Shaynok
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: View on former St. John the Baptist church
ID: 03546
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: St. Ann church, interior, décor
ID: 01261
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 100x150 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Bernardyński Square, Bernardine Church, green area, tram tracks
ID: 01258
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: St. Mary Magdalene Church
ID: 02041
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Night view of Dominican church of God's body
ID: 03521
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 16х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Latin cathedral, altar, sculptures, architectural details
ID: 01998
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1901
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Horodotska and Yanivska streets, St. Anna church, buildings, transport, paving