Former German People's House in Chernivtsi



ID number:
03726
Title:
Former German People's House in Chernivtsi
City:
Description:
From an ethnic point of view, Chernivtsi was the most ‘mixed' of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. "National" or "People's Houses" were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Deutsches Haus (German People's House) shown on the postcard was built in the most fancy street of Chernivtsi, the Herrengasse, in 1910 by the Verein der Christlichen Deutschen in der Bukowina (Association of christian Germans in the Bukowina). The Architect Gustav Fritsch combined neo-gothic with secessionist elements and added some half timbered decorations. There was a restaurant, a wine cellar, a big festive hall, various offices and meeting rooms of student fraternities. According to the agreement between Hitler and Stalin, almost all Germans left the Bukowina for Germany in the fall of 1940. Today, the "Association of Austrian-German Culture" occupies some rooms in the first floor. In the attic an exhibition hall is dedicated to the writer Georg Drozdowski.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Deutsches Haus, German People's House, Nationalhaus, Strada Janku Flondor
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format:
120x170 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01244
City: Lviv
Date: 1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Akademichna Street, green area, Trade and Industry Chamber
ID: 13173
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, architecture
Chernivtsi
ID: 03864
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Synagogengasse, synagogue
ID: 03843
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar years (1918-1939)
Format: 120х70 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, road works
ID: 12450
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Tanas Nykyforuk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: street, people
ID: 13138
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, architecture
ID: 08543
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, transport, paving, people
ID: 03273
City: Lviv
Date: 1927-1929
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, villas, park, Water tower, lanterns
ID: 03156
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 18х22 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Avenue, Opera house, theater named after Maria Zankovetska, paving, transport