Important Buidings in Chernivtsi



ID number:
03722
Title:
Important Buidings in Chernivtsi
City:
Description:
The postcard shows various important buidings in Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) on the eve of the first world war, when the city was the capital of the Bukowina, the most eastern province (Kronland) of the Austrian part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
In those days Chernivtsi had around 70.000 inhabitants, looking back on 150 years of rapid growth since it became part of the Habsburg Empire in 1774, when there were just 290 families living there. Chernivtsi was the only provincial capital (Landeshauptstadt) which was entirely built under the Austrian administration, which clearly shows both in the layout of the city and in the architecture.
The card shows: the headquaters of the state railways (Bahnbetriebsleitung) built in 1908; the seat of the provincial government (Landesregierung) buit in 1873; the theatre built in 1905 (Stadttheater); the town hall (Rathaus) finished in 1848;
the Children's Hospital (Kinderspital), a donation of Moses and Chaja Fischer in occasion of the 60th anniversary of Emperor Franz Josef's coronation 1908, which still serves as such; the big Jewish Temple (Isr. Tempel) inaugurated in 1877; the Habsburg coffeehouse (Cafe Habsburg) in Kobylyanska Street (Herrengasse); the Central Square with the Town Hall (Ringplatz mit Rathaus); the central railway station finished in 1909 (Haupt-Bahnhof); the entrance gate and the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Metropolitan (Residenz-Einfahrt, Gr.-or. Erzb. Residenz); and the primary school in L.Ukrainka Street (Altgasse) built in occasion of the 60th anniversary of Emperor Franz Josef's coronation 1908 (Kaiser Jubiläums Volksschule).
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Streets, Hospital, Public Buildings, Railway Station, Theatre
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
A. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Date:
1909-1914
Format:
85x140 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz.
On reverse:
in German: Verlag A. Tennenbaum, Papierhandlung, Czernowitz.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 09786
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Rynok Square, House of Lviv City Council
ID: 11086
City: Skole
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Chudiyovych
Subject: House
ID: 03830
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz
Chernivtsi
ID: 00683
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: David Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City Hall, square, passersby
ID: 02538
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 26х38 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Fire station
ID: 03856
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1910
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse, Main Street, Generalshaus
ID: 02773
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1907
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: S.W., Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Palace of Justice, Fish square
ID: 03870
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1906-1910
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Palace of Justice, Fish square
ID: 02978
City: Lviv
Date: 1900
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Governor’s Bulwarks, Governor’s palace