Various Important Buidings in Chernivtsi



ID number:
03721
Title:
Various Important Buidings in Chernivtsi
City:
Description:
The postcard shows various important buidings in Chernivtsi (Czernowitz) on the eve of the first world war, when the city was the capital of the Bukowina, the most eastern province (Kronland) of the Austrian part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
In those days Chernivtsi had around 70.000 inhabitants, looking back on 150 years of rapid growth since it became part of the Habsburg Empire in 1774, when there were just 290 families living there. Chernivtsi was the only provincial capital (Landeshauptstadt) which was entirely built under the Austrian administration, which clearly shows both in the layout of the city and in the architecture.
The card shows: the Children's Hospital (Kinderspital), a donation of Moses and Chaja Fischer in occasion of the 60th anniversary of Emperor Franz Josef's coronation 1908, which still serves as such; the police headquater (Polizeidirektion), which was later used by the Romanian Siguranta and the Soviet KGB; the Siebenbürger Strasse leading southwards towards southern Bukowina and Transylvania; the palace of justice (Justizpalais) built in 1906; the seat of the provincial government (Landesregierung) buit in 1873; the chamber of commerce with the Kaiser coffeehouse (Bukowiner Handels- und Gewerbekammer mit Kaiser Cafe), built in 1910; the pedestrian and street-bridge across the Pruth (Pruth-Brücke); the main street (Hauptstrasse); the Town Hall Street (Rathausstrasse); the theatre built in 1905 with the monument of Friedrich Schiller (Stadttheater mit Schiller Denkmal) and the central railway station finished in 1909 (Haupt-Bahnhof).
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Streets, Hospital, Public Buildings, Bridges, Railway Station, Theatre
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Moritz Gottlieb, Czernowitz
Date:
1911-1914
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Helmut Kusdat
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz.
On reverse: in German:
Verlag Moritz Gottlieb, Buchhandlung, Czernowitz.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02978
City: Lviv
Date: 1900
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Governor’s Bulwarks, Governor’s palace
ID: 02982
City: Lviv
Date: 1900
Format: 12х18 сm
Creator: Zygmunt Goldhammer
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Galician Sejm
ID: 11239
City: Kyiv
Date: 1880-1890
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject: street, building, transport, electric line
ID: 03500
City: Lviv
Date: 1890-1892
Format: 11х18 cm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Czarneckiego St., Viceregency, transport, gas street lamp
ID: 02526
City: Lviv
Date: 1894
Format: 12,2х20 см
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Galician Diet
ID: 00587
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Former Charnetskogo str, residence of the governor, buildings, city lamps, policeman
ID: 03721
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1911-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Moritz Gottlieb, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Streets, Hospital, Public Buildings, Bridges, Railway Station, Theatre
ID: 02761
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1904
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz
ID: 07935
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Archive, Bernardine monastery, church, street, public garden, tower