Sixtes column near St. Mary Magdalene church



ID number:
03551
Title:
Sixtes column near St. Mary Magdalene church
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Polish
Subject:
Memorial sign
Creator:
Publisher:
Date:
Copyright:
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01978
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1939
Format: 11х8 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Column, sculpture, Bernardine church, Bernardine square
ID: 11153
City: Kyiv
Date: 1961
Format: Unknown
Creator: Myhaylo Sumyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Knysh
Subject: Monument, Bohdan Khmelnytskyi
ID: 00576
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Monument, building, street
ID: 09785
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park
ID: 00246
City: Lviv
Date: 1968
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Monument, woman, sculpture
ID: 01074
City: Lviv
Date: 1954
Format: 12x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Subject: Monument, Mickiewicz Square, women, buildings No. 9-10, lantern
ID: 01597
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, buildings, well, sculpture
ID: 01891
City: Lviv
Date: 1916-1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Sztuka", Krakow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Gołuchowski monument, I. Franko Park
ID: 03076
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Holy Spirit square, monument, night, electrical lanterns
The Sykstuses Column (named after the Sykstus family, the owners of a land plot and former manor) was constructed in 1580 as a boundary-marking post, or perhaps a memorial. The planes of the tall quadrilateral pedestal exhibited relief Crucifixion scenes, as well as Latin inscriptions; the column was crowned by a cross. Twenty years later the foundations of a chapel were laid close to the site; construction of the chapel was funded by noblewoman Anna Pstrokońska. The chapel was extended, eventually ending in the construction of the St. Mary Magdalene Church on this spot. Today (2009) the changed and deformed Sykstuses Column exists as a corner-post of the stone wall, surrounding the St. Mary Magdalene Church, which functions as the Organ Music House.