St. Mary Magdalene church



ID number:
03550
Title:
St. Mary Magdalene church
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Polish
Subject:
Street, church, vicarage, wall, memorial sign
Creator:
Publisher:
Date:
Copyright:
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02227
City: Lviv
Date: 1935-1937
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Project, church, architecture, model
ID: 03071
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Square, church
ID: 01262
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Bernardine Church, St. Andrew the Apostle Church, Column of St. Jan of Dukla
ID: 01639
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1900-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church, square
ID: 01041
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Сhurch of the Poor Clares, square, transport, kiosk, clock
ID: 01998
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1901
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Horodotska and Yanivska streets, St. Anna church, buildings, transport, paving
ID: 01671
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1930
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 03543
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Chapel, architectural décor, sculpture, inscriptions
ID: 02371
City: Dobromyl
Date: 2004
Format: 30х20 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Church
The Sykstuses Column (named after the Sykstus family, the owners of a land plot and former manor) was constructed in 1580 as a boundary-marking post, or perhaps a memorial. The planes of the tall quadrilateral pedestal exhibited relief Crucifixion scenes, as well as Latin inscriptions; the column was crowned by a cross. Twenty years later the foundations of a chapel were laid close to the site; construction of the chapel was funded by noblewoman Anna Pstrokońska. The chapel was extended, eventually ending in the construction of the St. Mary Magdalene Church on this spot. Today (2009) the changed and deformed Sykstuses Column exists as a corner-post of the stone wall, surrounding the St. Mary Magdalene Church, which functions as the Organ Music House.
St. Mary Magdalene Roman Catholic Church (presently the Organ Music Hall). The church was constructed on an elevation far from the Lviv center, in the district of the former southwestern suburb. The side façade faces Shashkevycha Square, while on the north a block of the former Dominican Monastery cells has been built onto the church. The church’s 300-year old construction chronology includes several periods: of 1609-1612 (construction of the western part of the church by the architect M. Hodny), 1630-1635, 1758 (adding a nave and the towers by the architect M. Urbanik), 1880 (stairway with a terrace), 1889 (domes over the towers by the architect J. Zachariewicz) and 1929 (cells reconstruction). The architecture of the church includes late Renaissance, Baroque and Revival features.