View of Pidvalna Street



ID number:
00320
Title:
View of Pidvalna Street
City:
Description:
Pidvalna Street in Lviv
Subject:
Podwale Street with view of Royal arsenal, Dominican cathedral, Korniakt tower
Creator:
Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1912-1915
Format:
12x17 cm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01035
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 11х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Street, tram line, Porokhova tower, Korniakta tower
ID: 03266
City: Lviv
Date: 1908
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon Propst, Lwow
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, stores, coffee shops, bank, people
ID: 01249
City: Lviv
Date: 1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Karl-Ludwig-Strasse, Wały Hetmańskie, transport, electric street lights
ID: 08127
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Lenina avenue, buildings, architecture, public garden, square, monument, sculpture
ID: 08120
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, trading, paving, people
ID: 03272
City: Lviv
Date: 1911-1913
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Street, buildings, university, park, flowerbed, decorative elements
ID: 01268
City: Lviv
Date: 1910
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Karl-Ludwig-Strasse, Hetmanska St., Wały Hetmańskie, city theater, tram, kiosk, electric lights
ID: 13133
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, tram, architecture, sacral building
ID: 03843
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar years (1918-1939)
Format: 120х70 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, road works
(presently the building of the Lviv Museum of the History of Religion, 1 Stavropihiyska Street). The monastery building is a component of the architectural ensemble including also the church’s building nextdoor and the bell tower. The monastery constructions border on the northern nave of the church. The long chronicle of the monastery’s erection covers several periods: the fifteenth century, the years of 1556-1621 (reconstruction by the architect M. Czech) and the end of the eighteenth century (renovation after fire). Correspondingly, the object is rich in features of the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque periods.

The former Dominican Roman Catholic Church is the biggest Baroque church in Lviv. This massive monument of the Christian architecture has become the main component of the architectural complex dating to the fifteenth-nineteenth centuries including also the buildings of the monastery cells and the bell tower. The church was built from stone and brick over the course of 1749-1764 (the architects J. de Vitte, M. Urbanik and K. Muradowicz) on the site of a Gothic church of the fifteenth century, on the plot of land bordering the medieval Lviv on the west. In 1792-1798 the church was reconstructed (by the architect K. Fesinger). In 1905-1914 the interior restoration was completed. A square and a garden have been set up in front of the church. Under Socialism, the building housed the Museum of Atheism, later Museum of the History of Religion.