Assembly hall of Ivan Franko University



ID number:
02982
Title:
Assembly hall of Ivan Franko University
City:
Description:

The building of the Galician Sejm was built by the well-known architect Juliush Hokhberher in 1877-1881 in the period of the active building of Lviv during the epoch of municipal self-government. The plots of land of the lower parts of the ancient Jesuit or post-Jesuit park, on the spot of the ancient Casino Höchta were used for the construction of the Parliament building. The decorating of the building was conducted by the best sculptors and painters of the day: Theodore Rygier, Zygmund Trembecki, Henrik Rodakowski, Jan Matejko, Henrik Siemiradzki, Kazymiersz Pochwalski. The second storey of the Galician sejm building held the meeting hall, outfitted appropriately as an exemplary contemporary parlaimentary building. The half-circular amphitheatre of the hall was covered by a glass ceiling and was planned for 230 seats for deputies – consuls of the sejm. The half-circle of the amphitheatre faced the front wall, decorated with an allegorical painted freize by Henryk Rodakowski. Tiers of platforms were built into the length of the wall for the head (Marshal of the sejm), and also for the technicians (stenographers, secretaries) and reviewers. The central point of the composition was the platform for presentations. Along the perimetre of the parliamentary hall’s rounded wall there were boxes marked for the public. The hall was decorated by a thematic painting by Jan Matejko entitled “Union of Lublin”. Thanks to the glass ceiling the hall used natural light for illumination, and in the evening – gas lamps. In 1881 the lodging of the sejm received electrical lighting, which was first used in Lviv by engineer Francishek Rychnowski.

Subject:
Galician Sejm
Creator:
Zygmunt Goldhammer
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900
Format:
12х18 сm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Chernivtsi
ID: 02750
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Josef Gottlieb, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz, University
ID: 03165
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for the Studies of the Liberation Movement, Lviv
Subject: Św. Ducha Square, ruins
ID: 02761
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1904
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Landesregierung, Austria Platz
ID: 03856
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1910
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse, Main Street, Generalshaus
ID: 09786
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Rynok Square, House of Lviv City Council
ID: 02773
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1907
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: S.W., Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Palace of Justice, Fish square
ID: 01324
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Charnetskoho street, administrative buildings, vicegerency, people
ID: 00648
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Batory St., court building, lamp-post, passers-by
ID: 11086
City: Skole
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Chudiyovych
Subject: House
The former Galician Sejm building (now the main building of the Lviv National Ivan Franko University) was constructed in 1877-1881 under a project designed by architect Juliusz Hochberger. The monumental Sejm building belongs to the Historicist style influenced by the Vienna Neo-Renaissance architecture of the second half of the 19th century; it is notable for its rich sculpture and ornamental decorations.