The pedestal of the monument to Lenin



ID number:
02939
Title:
The pedestal of the monument to Lenin
City:
Description:
Construction of the Lenin monument was intended to begin as early as 1940 - this is attested by a marble plate with a corresponding inscription. In the years of the German occupation of the city, this stella was destroyed, and a cubic memorial with a chalice, an eternal flame, and an inscription marking the Adolph-Hitler-Ring (as the present-day Svobody Blvd. was then known). In 1945, after the conclusion of the war, the Council of People's Commisars of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic and the Central Committee of the Communist Party (Bolshevik) of Ukraine adopted a resolution to erect a monument to the Leader of the World Proletariat, V. I. Lenin. The laying of the first stone of the monument took place on April 22, 1945 in the square in front of the Opera and Ballet Theater. Several possible sites for the monument had been considered - Bernardynska (now Soborna) Sq., and the summit of the Castle Hill. Because the process of agreeing on a contractor was drawn out, and the funding for the erection of the monument was scarce, the monument was finally unveiled on January 20, 1952, instead of the original intended unveiling date of 1948.
Subject:
Stone, square, Svoboda avenue (1 Travnia street), Opera house, people
Creator:
Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1945-1951
Format:
Unknown
Copyright:
Ihor Melnyk
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01966
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1990
Format: 17х11 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Dombrovskoho Square, monument, buildings, public garden
ID: 03079
City: Lviv
Date: 1957
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: B. Khmelnytskyi Culture and Recreation Park, monument
ID: 01576
City: Lviv
Date: 1945
Format: 9х6 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to Kornel Ujejski, Akademichna street, young couple, former City Casino
ID: 01936
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Adam Mickiewicz, Mitskevycha Square, buildings Nos. 9 and 10, child
ID: 01884
City: Lviv
Date: 1906-1911
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Pomnik
ID: 00859
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 17х23 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Lenin avenue, monument, theater of opera and ballet, public garden
ID: 09726
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Adam Mickiewicz
ID: 01975
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 17х11 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Our Lady statue, Church of Our Lady of the Snows, pedestal
ID: 00842
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakivska Street, monument to the Tank Guardsmen, people

The Lviv State Academic Opera and Ballet Theater was built in 1897-1900 under a project designed by architect Zygmunt Gorgolewski. The building is erected in historicist style and influenced by the so-called Vienna Neo-Renaissance. The monumental theater building has occupied a key position in the architectural ensemble of the city’s main avenue created in the late 19th – early 20th century.

The monument to V. I. Lenin was erected in front of the entrance to the Opera House at the intersection of Hetmanski Waly and the park-garden located in the center of First of May Street (the central street of the city, from 1855 on called Karla Ludwika Street, in 1919 renamed Legionow Street, from 1959 on known as Lenina Boulevard, and in 1991 renamed Svobody Boulevard). The monument was the work of Moscow sculptor Serhii Merkurov (1881-1952), and architects V. Sharapenko and S. Frantsuz. The square in front of the Opera House was organized according to the project by architects Ivan Persykov and M. Yurchuk. A public meeting devoted to the unveiling of the monument to Lenin in Lviv was held on January 20, 1952.