Building of the Brody Gymnasium



ID number:
02877
Title:
Building of the Brody Gymnasium
City:
Description:

The four-year Gymnasium (school) in Brody was founded in 1865 on the basis of the earlier Realschule. In 1875, the four-year Gymnasium was turned into the higher level, eight year Crownprince Rudolph Gymnasium. Initially the new educational institution was located in the premises of the former Realschule (today’s building of the central district library in 3, Maidan Svobody (“Liberty Square”)). The ceremonious laying of the cornerstone for the new building of the Gymnasium took place on May 10, 1881, and instruction in the new building began on September 4, 1883. The picture shows the building of the Brody Gymnasium before 1914. In the years of the First World War the building was used as military casernes and hospital. In the interwar years (1920-1939) the building was home to the Józef Korzeniowski Polish State Gymnasium, and after the arrival of the Bolsheviks in 1939, it housed the Middle School No. 5 with instruction in Ukrainian. In the years of the Second World War the building housed German military casernes. In 1946 the building of the former Gymnasium was given to Middle School No. 1. The Gymnasium was reinstated in 1997, and from 1999 onwards it carries the name of its former graduate, famous Ukrainian artist Ivan Trush (1869-1941). Many renowned names are connected with the Brody Gymnasium: artists Ivan Trush and Mykola Fediuk, Ukrainian Galician Army (UHA in its Ukrainian acronym) General Myron Tarnavskyi, ethnographer Osyp Rozdolskyi, Rev. Yosyp Zastyrets, PhD, Austrian writer Joseph Roth, Academician Vasyl Schurat, Ukrainian Insurgent Army (UPA) ideologue Petro Fedun-Poltava, and many others, were once students.
Vasyl Strilchuk

Subject:
Gymnasium
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
"Akropol", Krakow
Date:
1925
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Brody. Gimnazjum im. J. Korzeniowskiego
In French: Le Gymnase de J. Korzeniowski
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład Władysława Kocyana w Brodach. Małopolska, r. 1925

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08449
City: Lviv
Date: 1908-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Noe Lissa
Publisher: Noe Lissa
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Park, buildings, architecture, gymnasium, monastery
ID: 08454
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Rudolf Huber
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Building, architecture, educational building, street
ID: 08445
City: Lviv
Date: 1905-1906
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Samuel Feller, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, school, Carmelite church
ID: 08483
City: Lviv
Date: 1908-1912
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, gymnasium
ID: 08540
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 90х140 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: J. Klein, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, gymnasium, line, tram
Chernivtsi
ID: 02754
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1908
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Staatsgymnasium, secondary school
ID: 02657
City: Lviv
Date: 1924-1926
Format: 90×140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Museum of Ancient Handwritten Ukrainian Book Art LAG
Subject: Hall, Z. Strzałkowska Institution, murals
ID: 08469
City: Lviv
Date: 1890-1900
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, building, architecture, gymnasium
ID: 08481
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 6х9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Album of Ukrainian Lviv"
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, gymnasium, tram line