M. Kotsiubynskoho Street



ID number:
02874
Title:
M. Kotsiubynskoho Street
City:
Description:

The buidlings of the Trade and Industry Chamber and the County Court were constructed in the late nineteenth-early twentieth centuries in the eastern part of Brody’s historic city center, in Wały Nowe (“New Bulwarks”) Street (also known as Wały Wolności, or “Liberty Bulwarks”). The Wały Nowe street ran along the upper part of the seventeenth century earth defensive bulwark of the city (now part of M. Kotsiubynskoho street). The Trade and Industry Chamber in Brody was founded in 1850, and was active until 1929. The building for this institution was constructed in the late nineteenth century. After the institution stopped its activities, the buidling became home to a two-year trade school, which was later reformed into a Merchant Gymnasium. After the arrival of the Soviet authorities in 1939, the buiding housed the Incomplete Middle School No. 2. In the years of the German occupation, the premises were taken by the Brody County Administration (Landkomissariat). After the Second World War the buiding was again used for educational purposes – in 1945 the building was given to the Brody Middle School No. 2 with instruction in Russian. The building was occupied by this school until 1977, after which it housed the primary classes of the Brody Middle School No. 1. Today the building is home to the Brody First Degree General Education School No. 1. The building of the county court was constructed in 1911 in place of an older nineteenth century building. The buiding’s project was developed by Z. Slyvynskyi, construction headed by M. Dąbrowski. The building’s interiors were changed in 1915, with part of the premises taken by preliminary detention cells, in addition to the actual court. The building performed its original functions (court, prosecutor’s office, and jail) until the end of the Second World War. In 1945 the building of the former county court was given to the Brody Pedagogical Institute. New buildings were added to the original premises in 1996, and in 2002 a Pedagogical College was created on the basis of the original Pedagogical Institute, taking the name of Markiyan Shashkevych in 2003.
Vasyl Strilchuk

Subject:
Trade and Industry Chamber, county court
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
"Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
Date:
1929
Format:
90x140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On reverse:
In Polish: Brody. Izba handlowa i Sąd powiatowy. W.S.P. Nr 8. Nakład Władysława Kocyana w Brodach. Małopolska, r. 1929
In French: Chambre de Commerce et Cour de Justice

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 13840
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1986
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: street, building, dining hall, food, consumption
ID: 03120
City: Lviv
Date: 1914
Format: 18х12 сm
Creator: Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok, building, trade
ID: 13730
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: street, building, tree, dining hall, nutrition
ID: 13831
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1986
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: interior, dining hall, building, food, people, consumption, furniture
ID: 12081
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: cafe, food, portrait, people
ID: 00094
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Lederer & Popper, Prague
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Trade gallery, restaurant, visitors
ID: 02874
City: Brody
Date: 1929
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Trade and Industry Chamber, county court
Truskavec
ID: 03311
City: Truskavec
Date: 1929
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Dairy, architecture
ID: 13841
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1986
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: interior, dining hall, building, food, people, consumption, furniture