Church of the Nativity of Our Lady

ID number:
Church of the Nativity of Our Lady

The Church of the Nativity of Our Lady lies north of the Rynok [Market] Square, in today’s Ivana Franka Street (previous names: Łucka, , Leszniowska D-ra Goldhabera). The story of the church’s origins reaches into the late sixteenth century, although it is thought the church was constructed in 1600, and first documented mentions of the church date to 1628 and 1630. The church was originally wooden, and only began looking similar to its today’s appearance circa 1745-1749. A sacristy was added to the northern side of the altar after 1839. A clock was installed on the belfry in the nineteenth century. Throughout the history of Brody, the Great Church (as it was popularly known) was the main Ukrainian sanctuary of the city. The church saw renovation and restoration works in 1902-1904, and in 1937-1938. In the first half of the twentieth century, the church was painted by Anatol Jablonskyi, Mykhailo Osinchuk, and Mykola Fediuk. The Church did not suffer significant ruination from the two world wars. In Soviet times, the church was the only church active in Brody. Today the Church belongs to the community of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – Kyiv Patriarchate. The picture shows a stone fence around the church (no longer extant today), a crucifix, and people in the street. To the right of the church, surrounded by a wooden fence, is the small building of L. Schneider’s photoshop. This later buidling was dismounted in the late 1930s, when construction of a two-storey stone house for priests began on this plot of land.
Vasyl Strilchuk

"Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
140x90 mm
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
On obverse:
In Polish: Brody. Cerkiew grec.-kat.
In French: L'Eglise catholique grecque.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład Władysława Kocyana w Brodach. Małopolska, r. 1929. W.S.P. Nr. 10

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.


ID: 02371
City: Dobromyl
Date: 2004
Format: 30х20 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Church
ID: 00504
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, roof, roofing works
ID: 03071
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Square, church
ID: 02073
City: Lviv
Date: 1919
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, war, ruins
ID: 08360
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Square, church, architecture
ID: 02038
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, architecture, sculpture
ID: 01998
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1901
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Horodotska and Yanivska streets, St. Anna church, buildings, transport, paving
ID: 03530
City: Lviv
Date: 1908
Format: 17х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, interior, architectural details, sculpture
ID: 09019
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1975
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Square, public garden, church, architecture, sculpture