Church of the Nativity of Our Lady



ID number:
02869
Title:
Church of the Nativity of Our Lady
City:
Description:

The Church of the Nativity of Our Lady lies north of the Rynok [Market] Square, in today’s Ivana Franka Street (previous names: Łucka, , Leszniowska D-ra Goldhabera). The story of the church’s origins reaches into the late sixteenth century, although it is thought the church was constructed in 1600, and first documented mentions of the church date to 1628 and 1630. The church was originally wooden, and only began looking similar to its today’s appearance circa 1745-1749. A sacristy was added to the northern side of the altar after 1839. A clock was installed on the belfry in the nineteenth century. Throughout the history of Brody, the Great Church (as it was popularly known) was the main Ukrainian sanctuary of the city. The church saw renovation and restoration works in 1902-1904, and in 1937-1938. In the first half of the twentieth century, the church was painted by Anatol Jablonskyi, Mykhailo Osinchuk, and Mykola Fediuk. The Church did not suffer significant ruination from the two world wars. In Soviet times, the church was the only church active in Brody. Today the Church belongs to the community of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church – Kyiv Patriarchate. The picture shows a stone fence around the church (no longer extant today), a crucifix, and people in the street. To the right of the church, surrounded by a wooden fence, is the small building of L. Schneider’s photoshop. This later buidling was dismounted in the late 1930s, when construction of a two-storey stone house for priests began on this plot of land.
Vasyl Strilchuk

Subject:
Church
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
"Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
Date:
1929
Format:
140x90 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Brody. Cerkiew grec.-kat.
In French: L'Eglise catholique grecque.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład Władysława Kocyana w Brodach. Małopolska, r. 1929. W.S.P. Nr. 10

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01673
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1900-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 01671
City: Shchyrets
Date: 1930
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Kryzhanivskyy
Subject: Church
ID: 09110
City: Lviv
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Square, buildings, architecture, cathedral, chapels, sculpture, people
ID: 00504
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, roof, roofing works
ID: 02110
City: Lviv
Date: 1923
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, buildings, architecture, church, wall
ID: 02136
City: Lviv
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, monastery, architecture
ID: 02368
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, mountain
ID: 02629
City: Lviv
Date: 1966
Format: 30х30 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Radianska Street, Church of St. Michael the Archangel
ID: 03023
City: Lviv
Date: 1890-1900
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Square, church, carriage, paving