Former Church of the Elevation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross



ID number:
02868
Title:
Former Church of the Elevation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross
City:
Description:
The postcard presents a northwestern view of the Church of the Elevation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross and its belfry in the early twentieth century. In the foreground is the territory of the former cemetary. On March 11, 1646, before his death, Stanisław Koniecpolski, Great Crown Hetman of the Commonwealth made his last will and testament, obligating his son Aleksander to build a stone church. This intention, however, was only brought to life by Aleksander’s son Stanisław in the early 1660s. The church was consecrated as the Church of the Elevation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross. Its appearance has undergone numerous changes, due to renovation after fire, reconstruction and restoration. The side chapels were added in the mid-eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries, the buidling was augmented and covered by tiles in 1825 (eventually, the building was covered with shingles, and later (mid-nineteenth century) – with tin-plate). To the right of the main altar was the later sacristy room, with a treasury above it. A stone, tile-covered belfry with four bells (no longer extant today) stood outside and northeast of the church. The church was active until 1946. A sports school was active in the former church in Soviet times. In 1993 the (originally Latin) church was given to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic (Uniate) community, and reconsecrated as the Church of the Elevation of the Holy and Life-Giving Cross. Three cupolas were erected atop the church in the late 1990s. A new belfry was constructed in the northwestern part of the church’s courtyard in 2006.
Vasyl Strilchuk
Subject:
Church, cemetary, Koniecpolski family
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
"Akropol", Krakow
Date:
1925
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Brody. Kościół
In Franch: L' Eglise
On reverse:
In Polish: Zakłady reprodukcyine “Akropol”, Kraków. 068
Nakł. Władysława Kocyana w Brodach. Małopolska r. 1925

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03071
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Square, church
ID: 02017
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Funeral, St. Andrew church, monastery
ID: 02022
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Ludwik Tyrowicz
Publisher: Press №1, Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, walls, street, transport, people
ID: 02145
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Church, architecture, sculpture
ID: 02086
City: Lviv
Date: 1908
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, architecture, church, college
ID: 00594
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 13х9 см
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: church, belfry, Virgin Mary figure
ID: 03736
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Bahnhofstrasse,
ID: 03538
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Church
ID: 02090
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture, church