Former Jewish National House



ID number:
02772
Title:
Former Jewish National House
City:
Description:
Chernivtsi was the ethnically most ‘mixed’ of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. “National” or “People’s Houses” were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Jewish House on the Theatre Square was opened in 1908. Untill the Second World War it was the center of Jewish life in Chernivtsi and home to various Jewish associations and organisations. The Soviets used the building as a cultural house for workers of the textile industry. After 1990, the jewish community got back a few rooms in the house and in 2008 a small Jewish museum was opened on the ground floor. The empty space next to the Jewish House – the dome of the Jewish Temple can be seen in the background – was used for a milk hall  (”Milchhalle”) or as skating place in winter until 1937, when the “Romanian Cultural Palace” was built there. 
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Jewish National House,
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1922-1937
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Casa evrească
On reverse:
In Romanian: Romania, Cartă Postală

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02772
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1922-1937
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Jewish National House,
ID: 00973
City: Lviv
Date: 1955
Format: Unknown
Creator: D. Malyarchuk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Cinema, posters, viewers, green area, decorative vase
ID: 00990
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 17х23 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Palace, Petrushevycha square, public garden, flowerbed, benches, people, greenery, electric lanterns
ID: 03499
City: Lviv
Date: 1907-1911
Format: 17х23 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Cinema, passage, shops, decor
ID: 03879
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1908-1914
Format: 170х70 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Jewish National House, Friedrich Schiller monument
ID: 00992
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Cinema named after Y. Halan, playbill, public garden, greenery, people
ID: 03771
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1896-1900
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Musikverein, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz
ID: 02775
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1899
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Ukrainian house
ID: 00984
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: House of Scientists, street, people, greenery