Holovna Street



ID number:
02759
Title:
Holovna Street
City:
Description:
The postcard shows the Heiligenkreuzplatz and the upper part of Enzenberg Hauptstrasse. The square is named after the cross (left side of postcard), errected in 1831 after a wooden chapel, which served as Catholic church until the opening of the new church in 1814, was demolished. The monument disappeared after 1944. The square became a kind of main square of the city in the early years of the Austrian rule. Here the first brick buildings were built and the first ensemble of Austrian architecture was created. Only at the beginning of the 19th c. the city grew uphill and the Ringplatz became main square. In 1880 the street was  named after Karl von Enzenberg, head of the military administration of the Bukowina from 1778 to 1786. Before that it was called Lemberger Strasse, being part of the oldest and most important road in the Bukowina, the so called “Reichsstraße” (Imperial Road) coming from Lviv (Lemberg) in the north, going towards the southern Bukowina to Suceava (Suczawa) and from there westwards ascross the Carpathian mountains into Siebenbürgen (Transylvania). The residence of the military govenor was the first stone house in Chernivtsi, erected in 1780. It was known as Generalshaus and can be seen on the left side of the postcard. Opposite of it, on the right side of the postcard, stands the Militärkasino (Officers Casino), built in 1782 as Colonel’s House but rebuilt after fires in the second half of the 19th c. In the background the Ringplatz (Central Square) with the Town Hall can be seen. Today this is part of Holovna Street, before it was named after the Romanian king Ferdinand and Lenin.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse, Main Street, Town Hall, public transportation, people
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
E. Kanarski, Czernowitz
Date:
1904
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz. Enzenberg - Hauptstrasse
Nr. 5. Verlag von E. Kanarski, Papierhandlung, Czernowitz
On reverse:
In German: Correspondenz – Karte

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02840
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Rene Stivens
Subject: Sykstuska Street, shop, shop-window, advertisement, people
ID: 13128
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, car, architecture
ID: 00707
City: Stryj
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Shenfeld, Stryj
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City, street, buildings, people
ID: 01100
City: Lviv
Date: 1915-1917
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Dawid Grund, Lwow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Alley, buildings, railway station, horseman, people, gaslight
ID: 09738
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Vasyl Pylypjuk
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: street, building, architectural details
ID: 08637
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, trading, people, tram line, paving
ID: 01443
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1925
Format: 15х23 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, Kamianetska St., Fair
ID: 02217
City: Lviv
Date: 1908-1910
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Lederer & Popper, Prague
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture, church, people
ID: 01034
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 11х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Street, buildings, fence, church