Former German People’s House



ID number:
02748
Title:
Former German People’s House
City:
Description:
From an ethnic point of view, Chernivtsi was the most ‘mixed’ of all provincial capitals of the Habsburg Empire. In 1910 out of a total population of 90.000, around 33% were Jews, 17% Germans, 17% Ukrainians, 16% Romanians and 14% Poles. The rest were Armenians, Hungarians, Slovaks, Lippowanians etc. During the Austrian era, each of the major ehtnic groups established a network of various cultural, educational, sporting, political and social organizations and associations. "National" or "People’s Houses" were built as a meeting point, at the same time those buildings were meant to express the self-confidence and pride of the ethnic group. The Deutsches Haus (German People’s House) shown on the postcard was built in the most fancy street of Chernivtsi, the Herrengasse, in 1910 by the Verein der Christlichen Deutschen in der Bukowina (Association of christian Germans in the Bukowina). The Architect Gustav Fritsch combined neo-gothic with secessionist elements and added some half timbered decorations. There was a restaurant, a wine cellar, a big festive hall, various offices and meeting rooms of student fraternities. According to the agreement between Hitler and Stalin, almost all Germans left the Bukowina for Germany in the fall of 1940. Today, the "Association of Austrian-German Culture" occupies some rooms in the first floor. In the attic an exhibition hall is dedicated to the writer Georg Drozdowski.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Deutsches Haus, Nationalhaus, Herrengasse, Strada Janku Flondor
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Gee Haa
Date:
1928
Format:
140x90 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Casa Germana
On reverse:
In Romanian: Romania. Cartă Postală, Geo Haa, Nr. 1. - 1928. Ilustraţia.
I., Gh. 18960

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00970
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Khomzor
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: buidling, club of the Enerhokombinat, USSR coat of arms
ID: 02774
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: P.O. Drahynskyy
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, private associations, Ukrainian house
ID: 02775
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1899
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Ukrainian house
ID: 00575
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: National House, square
ID: 00973
City: Lviv
Date: 1955
Format: Unknown
Creator: D. Malyarchuk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Cinema, posters, viewers, green area, decorative vase
ID: 02772
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1922-1937
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Cernăuţi, Jewish National House,
ID: 03499
City: Lviv
Date: 1907-1911
Format: 17х23 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cinema, passage, shops, decor
ID: 03771
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1896-1900
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Musikverein, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz
ID: 00992
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Cinema named after Y. Halan, playbill, public garden, greenery, people