The Town Hall on the Central Square



ID number:
02745
Title:
The Town Hall on the Central Square
City:
Description:
The postcars shows the Town Hall on the Central Square. Chernivtsi was made the capital of the Bukowina after the annexation by Austria in 1775 and granted the status of a city in 1786. Only in 1832 Chernivtsi got a proper Magistrat (city council) headed by a regular mayor. In 1843 the contruction work for a city hall on the Ringplatz started and were finished in 1848. The classicist building by the architect Andreas Mikulicz has a tower of 50 meters, used as watchtower by the fire brigade and a clock which once used to strike every full hour. In Austrian times, it was topped with a gilded double headed eagle. It was renovated in 1903. The rooms in the cornes on the first floor were rented out to shops. One of the most important mayors was Anton von Kochanowski who served from 1866-74 and 1887–1905. Chernivtsi was the only Landeshauptstadt (provincial capital) of the Austian Empire where Jews were elected mayor: Eduard Reiss (1905-07) and Salo von Weisselberger (1914). In the time between the wars the Town Hall showed the letters PRIMARIA, Romanian for town hall. People are sitting on the foundations of the Unirii (unification) Monument built in 1924.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Piata Unirii, Primaria, people
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Agentia Romana Hachette, Bucuresti
Date:
Interwar Years (1918-1939)
Format:
140x90 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: 2515_Cernăuţi
On reverse:
Іn Romanian. Cernăuţi, Primăria. Depozitul general. Agenţia Romană Hachette. – Bucuresti.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01252
City: Lviv
Date: 1924-1926
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: City Hall, tower, Rynok
ID: 08762
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Building, tower, city hall
Chernivtsi
ID: 13066
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1918
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: town hall, street, building, people, tram, street advertisement
ID: 08704
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 9х6 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Square, city hall, toilet, people
ID: 11807
City: Lviv
Date: 1967
Format: Unknown
Creator: Sviatoslav Vdovenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Vdovenko
Subject: town hall
ID: 02494
City: Lviv
Date: 1847
Format: 10х15 см
Creator: Karl Auer
Publisher: Francisek Jaworski
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Market Square, City Hall
Lviv
ID: 03069
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 14,5х10,5 сm
Creator: M. Vontorek
Publisher: Ksiaznica-Atlas, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: city hall, cathedra, Boimiv chapel, Halytska street
ID: 03107
City: Lviv
Date: 1985
Format: 17х17 сm
Creator: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: City, city hall, Jesuits church, Dominican church, buildings
Dobromyl
ID: 02372
City: Dobromyl
Date: 2004
Format: 30х20 сm
Creator: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: City Hall Tower