Former Greek-orthodox Seminary Building with Seminary Church



ID number:
02741
Title:
Former Greek-orthodox Seminary Building with Seminary Church
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the seminary building with the seminary church. This building housed the greek-orthodox seminary, founded in 1828, and the theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. Teaching took place mostly in Romanian language, sometimes in German and Ukrainian. The reputation of the institution was high, at the eve of World War one it had about 200 students. The Seminar kirche (seminary church) of the Three Holy Hierarchs was consecrated in 1882, the inside wall paintings were done by the Viennese Karl Jobst. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today. The seminary church was used as a storage room by the Soviets, the wall paintings and the iconostasis could be saved. Today the church is restored and very popular for weddings.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Cernăuţi, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1930-1935
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Resedintă Mitropoliţană
In German: Erzbischoefl. Residenz
On reverse:
In Romanian: Cernăuţi, Resedintă Mitropoliţană
In German: Erzbischöfl. Residenz

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00242
City: Lviv
Date: Post-War period, Communist Rule (1946-1990)
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: Church, Kryvchytsi
ID: 00428
City: Lviv
Date: 1909
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Jan Peltz
Publisher: Tecza, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Armenian cathedral, courtyard, arcade
ID: 02116
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Street, cathedral, chapel, architecture, sculpture
ID: 00693
City: Holobutiv
Date: 1914-1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Kriegsbilder=Zentrale, Berlin
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, ruins, sculpture
ID: 10463
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Borys Mindel
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Chapel, Latin-rite Cathedral, house, Halytska St., tower, city hall tower
ID: 00460
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, wall, street, transport
ID: 09353
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: Street, church
ID: 02257
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Potockiego St., House of the Handmaidens of the Most Holy Virgin Mary order
ID: 01030
City: Lviv
Date: 1946
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Assumption Church, Ruska Street, Pidvalna Street, green area