The Main Building of Chernivtsi University



ID number:
02740
Title:
The Main Building of Chernivtsi University
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the rigth wing of the palace where the monastry was located nad the othodox clergy lived. At some times the building also housed a student’s home, a candle factory and a museum for religious art. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Date:
1905-1914
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Gruss aus Czernowitz, Priesterhaus.
On reverse:
In German: Verlag Simon Gross, Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Delatyn
ID: 00684
City: Delatyn
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zharovskyy, "Hoverla", Delyatyn
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Wooden Church
ID: 09324
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: Church
Vorokhta
ID: 00721
City: Vorokhta
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: H. Gasiorowski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cemetery, chapel
ID: 02101
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1932
Format: Glass negative 4,5х6 cm, "Gevaert"
Creator: Jan Otko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Church, wooden architecture, fence, hill
ID: 09353
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject: Street, church
ID: 10160
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Building, Chapel
ID: 03883
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 120х60 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, church
ID: 08626
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, church, bell tower, line, tram, people
ID: 02358
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Armenian Church, arcade, courtyard