The Inner Courtyard Chernivtsi University Main Building



ID number:
02739
Title:
The Inner Courtyard Chernivtsi University Main Building
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the inner courtyard and parts of the central buildung with the balcony of the Synodalsaal (synodal hall) and the monastry on the right side. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. After the second Wold War the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Date:
1920-1930
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Gruss aus Czernowitz, Erbischöfliches Palais
On reverse:
In German: Verlag Simon Gross, Czernowitz, Hauptstrasse.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00776
City: Lviv
Date: 1912-1915
Format: 12x17 cm
Creator: Josef Kosciesza Jaworski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Palace
Chernivtsi
ID: 03419
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1910
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Tempel, architecture, street, people
ID: 02366
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: M. Yanishevski
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, architecture, courtyard
ID: 02214
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, church, architecture
ID: 08626
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, church, bell tower, line, tram, people
ID: 00428
City: Lviv
Date: 1909
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Jan Peltz
Publisher: Tecza, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Armenian cathedral, courtyard, arcade
ID: 02255
City: Lviv
Date: 1900
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Remmler & Jonas, Dresden
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: The Engagement of Virgin Mary and St. Josef Church, architecture
ID: 03751
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1920-1923
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
ID: 02178
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: 12х18 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church of Our Lady of the Snows, Our Lady statue, stairs, tram tracks, people, kiosk