View of the City



ID number:
02738
Title:
View of the City
City:
Description:
The postcard shows the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the entire building: the gate to the inner courtyard, the central buildung, the seminary building with the seminary church on the left side and the monastery on the right side. The Residence also housed the greek-orthodox seminary, founded in 1828, and the theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today. The postcards also shows the street leading to the Residence from the city center. Originally named Bischofsgasse, it was called Residenzgasse later, and University Street nowadays. The small church in the front is the Lutheran Protestant Church, built in 1849 by the architect J.Engels. Ethnically most Protestant in Chernivtsi were colonists from German lands who settled in the Bukowina after the annexation by Austria in 1775. The first protestant Pastor arrived in Chernivtsi in 1795. Before the first World War around 5000 German Lutherans were living in Chernivtsi, mainly in the district of Rosch. After the German – Soviet agreement in 1940 around 90.000 Germans were ‘repatriated’ from the Bukowina to Germany, putting an end to the history of the German minority in the Bukowina. The church was used as an archives by the Soviets, the tower does not exist any more.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox and Protestant Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
S. Kiesler, Czernowitz
Date:
1901
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Gruss aus Czernowitz, Residenzgasse und Erzbischöfl Residenz
37001 Verlag S. Kiesler, Czernowitz
On reverse:
In German: Correspondenz - Karte

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 12814
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: portrait, monument, park
ID: 02946
City: Lviv
Date: 1958-1961
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Flowerbed, flower rocket, 17 Veresnia street, park named after Ivan Franko, people, bookstall
ID: 12702
City: Lviv
Date: 1970-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Tanas Nykyforuk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: building, architecture, secession
ID: 00682
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1908-1909
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Chernivtsi, city theater, theater gate, electric lights
ID: 03158
City: Lviv
Date: 1906
Format: 6х9 сm
Creator: Mihal Bergtraum
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Street, building, carriage, cobblestones
ID: 12386
City: Lviv
Date: 16th of June 1974
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Tetiana Goshchitska
Subject: elections, USSR
ID: 03759
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1914-1918
Format: 85х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Train Station
ID: 02914
City: Lviv
Date: 1955-1965
Format: 10x14 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Karmazin
Subject: Park, restaurant, people, city greenery
ID: 13178
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, architecture, night, light