Former Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop



ID number:
02734
Title:
Former Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop
City:
Description:
The postcard shows a part of the building of the Residence of the Greek-Orthodox Bishop in Chernivtsi. From 1873 on he was the Metropolitan of the Bukowina and Dalmatia, being the head of all Orthodox believers in the Habsburg Empire. The impressive structure was buit between 1864 and 1882 and replaced an older residence from the 1780s. It sits on a hill overlooking the city. In the 1880s the top of this hill behind the gardens of the Residence got the name Habsburgshöhe. The driving force behind the project was Bishop Eugen Hacman, the architect was Josef Hlavka from Bohemia. The necessary amount of 1,75 million Guilders came mainly from the funds of the Greek-Orthodox Church of the Bukowina (Griechisch Orientalischer Religionsfonds). The ensemble in moorish-byzantine style consists of three wings which surround an inner courtyard: the central Bishop’s residence, the Seminary with a church to the left and the monastery on the right side. Behind the Bishop’s residence there is a large private garden. The postcard shows the entrance gate to the inner courtyard, parts of the central buildung with the balcony of the Synodalsaal (synodal hall) and the monastry on the right side. The smaller tower in the middle of the postcard belongs to the Bishop’s private chapel dedicatd to Ivan of Suczawa (Suceava) which is attached to the residential building. The tiles of the roof reflect colours and designs of folk art of the Bukowina. The building housed the greek-orthodox theological faculty ot the university of Chernivtsi which attracted students from all over the Empire, south-eastern Europe and the Middle East. After the second Wold War, the orthodox seminary was closed, the Bishop moved to Romania and the building, which was severely damaged by fire during the war, was handed over to the University of Chernivtsi, as main building of which it serves until today.
Helmut Kusdat
Subject:
Czernowitz, Orthodox Churches, Bishop’s Residence, Universities
Creator:
Jozefy & Müller
Publisher:
Saul Blumenthal, Czernowitz
Date:
1900-1910
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz, Erb. Residenz.
On reverse:
In German: Correspondenz Karte, Verlag Saul Blumenthal. Czernowitz. Aufnahme der Fotogr. Manufactur Jozefy & Müller, Czernowitz

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00687
City: Lutsk
Date: 1920-1930
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, project
ID: 08626
City: Lviv
Date: 1956
Format: 9х6 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Street, architecture, buildings, church, bell tower, line, tram, people
ID: 13774
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, city, religious buildings, architecture, building, church, people
Przemysl
ID: 03411
City: Przemysl
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, buildings, architecture, synagogue, street, people
Vorokhta
ID: 00721
City: Vorokhta
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: H. Gasiorowski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cemetery, chapel
ID: 13141
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: sacral building, street, square, people
ID: 02257
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1930
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Potockiego St., House of the Handmaidens of the Most Holy Virgin Mary order
ID: 01256
City: Prague
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: R.W.P.
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church, the architecture
ID: 00427
City: Lviv
Date: 1938-1939
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Ksiaznica-Atlas, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Armenian cathedral, courtyard