Jewish Temple



ID number:
02733
Title:
Jewish Temple
City:
Description:

On the crossroad of several streets in the city center, just steps away from the Ringplatz (Central Square) a Choral Temple was built between 1873 and 1877 in a moresque style by the architect Julian Zachariewicz from Lemberg (Lviv). The synagogue was supposed to be a reformed temple of the more liberal oriented Jews, in contrast to the orthodox Great Synagogue in Synagogengasse in the lower parts of town. However, the Temple was not reformed in todays meaning of the word: there was no organ and a separate section for the ladies. Services were held in German language, the common language of most Jews of Chernivtsi. In order to raise money for the project, the most prominent representatives of the Jewish Community founded the Czernowitzer Israelitische Tempelverein (Temple Association) was founded, main donations came from the Zucker and Wagner families. The foundation stone was put in 1873 by Chief Rabbi Dr. Igel and the Orthodox Bishop Dr. Hacman. Among the several ethnic groups and religions in Chernivtsi, the Jews became the biggest and most important during the Austrian rule. Before the first World War around one third of the population of he city was Jewish, in 1919 the percentage of Jews rose to 47 percent. The Temple was the biggest of more than 70 synagogues and prayer houses in Chernivtsi. In the Austrian epoque, the street linking the Temple with the Ringplatz (Central Square) was named Tempelgasse. In July 1941 Romania occupied Chernivtsi from the Soviets, and together with German troops carried out massacres on the Jewish population. Within a few days the most prominent representatives of Jewish life in the city, among them Chief Rabbi Abraham Mark, were murdered, the Temple was set on fire and burned down to ashes. After the war, the Soviets tried to blow up the ruin but failed to do so. In 1959 the former temple was turned into a cinema, deprived of its dome and most of the ornaments.  Here one of the most prominent singers of the time between the wars, the Tenor Josef Schmidt started his career in the temple choir. Today a memorial plaque inside the building reminds of this famous son of Chernivtsi.
Helmut Kusdat

Subject:
Czernowitz, Synagogue, Jewish Temple
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1905-1914
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In German: Czernowitz, Israelitischer Tempel

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 11742
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: people, buildings
ID: 03384
City: Zhovkva
Date: 1914
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, synagogue, architecture
ID: 03412
City: Przemysl
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, interior, decor, architectural details
ID: 03396
City: Vizhnitsa
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: E. Shraier, Sanislaviv
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Square, synagogue, students, teacher
ID: 00049
City: Lviv
Date: Period of Independence (1990-s nowadays)
Format: Unknown
Creator: Oleksandr Denysenko
Publisher: Oleksandr Denysenko
Copyright: Oleksandr Denysenko
Subject: Hasidic synagogue, Jewish cultural center
ID: 01599
City: Lviv
Date: 1938
Format: 15x10 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: Ksiaznica-Atlas, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Synagogue, courtyard, entrance
ID: 03433
City: Husiatyn
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: D. Poliatkevych
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Synagogue, architecture, architectural details
ID: 03747
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1910-1914
Format: 170x120 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Synagogue, Jewish Temple
ID: 01616
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Suburb, street, synagogue