A View of the Part of the City Containing the Basilian Monastery



ID number:
02564
Title:
A View of the Part of the City Containing the Basilian Monastery
City:
Description:
Stefan Potocki owned Buchach in the seventeenth century; he significantly influenced the development of the city. In 1712, to provide corresponding education to Greek Catholic clergy, he brought Basilians from Lithuania and granted them many benefits. He also financed the construction of the monastery; in 1753 new buildings of the Basilian Monastery as well as the Church of the Protection of Our Lady (1764) were built at the expense of Kaniv’s elder Mikolaj Potocki, the son of S. Potocki. The image depicts a view of the Basilian Monastery from the city center. A street (modern Mickiewicz Street) leads to the monastery; the buildings of the District Authorities and District Court are on the right part of the street. The buildings of the post office and magistrate are on the left part of the street. District Authorities, the District Council and the District Court, as well as the post office and telegraph department were located in Buchach. The monastery was located on the slopes of Fedir Mountain. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, constructed according to the project by well-known architect Schilzer in the late Baroque style on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann, the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra, two-story monastery premises were added to the church in 1761-1771. A bell tower built in 1849-1854 is located to the left of the monastery premises.
Nazar Kis
Subject:
Post-Office, magistrate, Basilian Monastery, the building of district authorities, district court
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900-1905
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Poczta, Magistrat, Klasztor O.O.Bazylianów. Starostwo i Sąd pow.
In Ukrainian: Почта, магістрат, Мон. О.О.Васильн. Староство і суд пов.
In Polish: 16878 Dostać można u Jakóba Müllera w Buczaczu. – Przedruk wzbroniony.
On reverse:
In German: Correspondenz-Karte
In Polish: Karta korespondencyjna
In Ukrainian: Карта кореспонденційна

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 11271
City: Kyiv
Date: 1910-1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject:
ID: 03190
City: Lviv
Date: 1910
Format: 10х12 cm
Creator: Karol Richtman, Edmund Libanski
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Panorama, buildings, industrial school
ID: 00878
City: Lviv
Date: 1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Panorama, City Hall tower, Orliankin cinema
ID: 11248
City: Kyiv
Date: 1900-1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject: panorama, church
ID: 10156
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Hryhoriy Uhrynovych
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 03750
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1904
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Temple
ID: 00517
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wojcech Kossak
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Battle scene
ID: 01826
City: Lviv
Date: 1927-1938
Format: 11х16,1 сm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Kornyakt Tower, cupola of the Dominican Church, panorama
ID: 02727
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1918
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: L. [] P., Prague
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Town Hall, Churches, Temple