View of the City from Castle Mountain



ID number:
02556
Title:
View of the City from Castle Mountain
City:
Description:

A panorama of the city from Castle Mountain. In the foreground one can see the Strypa River and part of the embankment with buildings. On the right, on the slopes of Fedir Mountain, the buildings of the Greek Catholic Basilian Monastery can be seen. The central building of the complex is the Church of the True Cross, which was constructed in the late Baroque style according to the project by a well-known architect, Schilzer, on the site of a cathedral disassembled in 1752-1761. According to the project by well-known architect Gottfried Hoffmann – the creator of the Pochaiv Lavra – two-story monastery premises (on the left) and the school education building (on the right) were added in 1761-1771. In 1804 a gymnasium was founded at the monastery of the Basilian friars; well-known Ukrainian and Polish personalities of the spheres of culture, literature and art studied here. Poets Julian Dobrylowski and Illarion Grabowicz as well as biologist Semen Trush were among its teachers. A trade and craft school also existed at the monastery. A bell tower built in 1849-1854 is located to the left of the monastery premises. The buildings of the state gymnasium are located between the monastery and the bridge over the Strypa River; they were constructed in 1891—1899 according to the project by Topolnicki and Ferrari. The historian Ivan Dzydzora, artist Volodymyr Lasowski, writer Osyp Nazaruk, and Sich poet Ivan Baliuk studied here. The outlines of the Church of the Protection of Our Lady – built in 1764 – are in the background on the left side of the image. A number of historians believe that the church was constructed according to the project by German architect Schilzer. He was the author of Christ Uplifting Church for the Basilian Monastery and the new palace of M. Potocki in the southwestern part of the city. Despite that, the majority of art scholars connect its construction with the well-known architect Bernard Meretyn. The Church of the Protection of Our Lady was the last creation of B. Meretyn and the sculptor J. G. Pinzel in Buchach. In 1865 the church burned down but was renovated and operated until 1956. In 1990 the Church of the Protection of Our Lady was passed on to the Greek Catholic community.
Nazar Kis

Subject:
View of a part of a city from the castle mountain, Strypa River, embankment with buildings, Basilian Monastery, the Church of the Protection of Our Lady and gymnasium
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1900-1918
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Ukrainian: Загальний вид Бучача

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02560
City: Buchach
Date: 1906-1918
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Center of the city, City Hall and ruins of the castle
ID: 01826
City: Lviv
Date: 1927-1938
Format: 11х16,1 сm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject: Kornyakt Tower, cupola of the Dominican Church, panorama
ID: 00876
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Żółkiewskie/Zhovkivske suburb, B. Khmelnytskoho Street, city construction, industry, railway tracks
ID: 03569
City: Lviv
Date: 1928
Format: 12,5х17,5 cm
Creator: Edmund Libanski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Panorama, railway station, railway
ID: 03195
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1905
Format: 90х280 mm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Panorama, buildings, park, Sejm
ID: 01105
City: Lviv
Date: 1898
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Rommler & Jonas, Dresden
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Panorama, bell-towers, buildings
ID: 00571
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: View of Paparivka, the brewery and sanatorium
ID: 11271
City: Kyiv
Date: 1910-1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: H.S. Pshenychnyi Central State Cinema, Photo and Phono Archvive of Ukraine
Subject:
ID: 00885
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 18х24 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Panorama, buildings, towers, belfries, city hall tower, Armenian Church, Cathedral, Jesuit Church