View of the Shopping centre "Magnus"



ID number:
02543
Title:
View of the Shopping centre "Magnus"
City:
Description:

The building of the “Magnus” Shopping centre was built in 1912-1913 by the renowed Polish architect Roman Felinskyi. The project was brought to fruition by the building firm of the architect Mihal Uliam, where R. Felinskyi held the position of director of the architectural department. On the left of “Magnus” a building had already been built; advertising spots over the windows were filled with shop names; on the façade a sign was hung in big letters: Małopolski Zakład Odziezy. On each shop window of the third storey an advertisement for the company PEPEGE- Polish maker of rubber footwear at that time. At the beginning of “Magnus’” operation, commercial spaces were given to different companies and commercial operators, so a multitude of Lviv commercial companies could be found under its roof. On the sunlit façade the shop windows of the first storey were protected from the sun’s rays by moveable shades. Tram tracks turned from the main façade of “Magnus” on Horodotska st., off of Slonechney st. (now M. Kulisha st.). These tracks were disassembled at the end of the 1950s, beginning of the 1960s. In 1930 substantial changes were planned for the designation of the building- city council intended to move the Treasure Board from Hetmanskey st. and situate it here. After WWII the empty structure was fitted with many features and tiny businesses, from a laundry drop-off point (from bath No 3, which is on Shpytalna st., 11) to regional committees of DOSAAF and the Red Cross of Shevchenkivskyi district. There was also a grocery shop and regional "harchoprom", "vykonkom" (executive committee) of the Shevchenkivskyi district deputy labour council, and also Shevchenkivskyi district division of the Government bank. From 1959-1961 the building was designated for “TSUM”, then the name “old” TSUM (department store on Market sq.,32) and “new”- the current “Magnus” came into effect. TSUM opened April 15, 1960. After 2000, this place that had long ago stopped functioning, caught the eye of Polish businessman Jezy Konik. Credit, granted by the World Bank for reconstruction and development, allowed for the closing of the department store in 2003 and the start of renovation works. “Magnus” was opened in 2004. On the top storey of the commercial centre is a café from which a nice view of the city can be enjoyed.

Subject:
"Magnus"
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Unknown
Date:
1913
Format:
15х10 cm
Copyright:
Dmytro Zavrazhyn
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

Chernivtsi
ID: 02743
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1911
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Leon König, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Ringplatz, Town Hall, people, market, tramway
ID: 03402
City: Brody
Date: 1917
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, square, buildings, Rynok square, trading
Chernivtsi
ID: 03825
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1918-1939
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Austriaplatz, market
ID: 08137
City: Lviv
Date: 1963-1964
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Stryiska street, Ivana Franka street, market, trading, people
Chernivtsi
ID: 03820
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1900-1915
Format: 120х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, market
ID: 02990
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 11х18 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Żółkiewska St., market, commerce, buildings, stalls
Unknown location
ID: 03392
City: Unknown location
Date: 1900-1914
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, buildings, square, trading, traders
ID: 00694
City: Kolomyja
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Rynok, Torhova street, shops, carts, horsdrawn carriages, bicyclist, passersby
Chernivtsi
ID: 02758
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1904
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Simon Gross, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Rudolfsplatz, Mehlplatz, Musikvereinsplatz, market, people