Holy Eucharist Church



ID number:
02376
Title:
Holy Eucharist Church
City:
Description:
The original wooden church of the Dominican order, constructed in 1370-1375, was destroyed in fire. Construction of a new stone Gothic sanctuary, based on the project by architect M. Czech, began in 1407. The building of the Dominican Church as it exists today was constructed by Jan de Witte, renowned architect, fortification engineer, and commander of the Kamyanets-Podilskyi fortress, using funds provided by Józef Potocki. Construction was overseen by architects Marcin Urbanik (from 1745), and Krzysztof Muradowicz (from 1764). Construction works were completed in 1792-1798 by architect Klemens Fesinger. The Dominican church is one of the most striking buildings in the architectural layout of Lviv. The central ellipse-shaped mass is surrounded by oval chapels, situated radially, and remaining within the elliptic frame. A mighty cupola rises above the central body of the church, supported by eight pairs of columns. The Baroque treatment of the main façade, with the elegant protruding lines of the portal, the strong cornice, and the divided fronton of the portal, give the building a dynamic and expressive character. The harmony of the spatial architectural forms is subordinated to a certain solemn rhythm. The façade is decorated by the Latin inscription “Soli Deo honor et gloria” (Honor and glory to the Only God).
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Subject:
Dominican Church of the Body of Our Lord, monastery building
Creator:
Karl Auer
Publisher:
Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1837
Format:
21,5x16,2 сm; 28,5x22,2 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Auer rys.i lit. u P. Pillera we Lwowie
Kościoł Dominikański we Lwowie

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03543
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Chapel, architectural décor, sculpture, inscriptions
ID: 03567
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Virmenska St., church, buildings
ID: 03327
City: Brody
Date: 1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Church, Korzeniowskiego Street
ID: 02179
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1901
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Franciszek Niżałowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church of Our Lady of the Snow, Our Lady statue, people, city growth
ID: 03538
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Church
ID: 01441
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1920
Format: 22,5х16 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, St. Anne’s Cathedral, M. Zhuravsky
ID: 01246
City: Lviv
Date: 1917
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: The Art Gallery of Polish Artists Publishing House, Krakow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church of St. Elizabeth, architecture, square
ID: 00011
City: Lviv
Date: 1941 – 1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Ksiaznica-Atlas, Lwow
Copyright: There are no Known Restrictions on the Usage of this Image
Subject: Dominican cathedral, Korniakt tower, portal, the Church of the Blessed Eucharist
ID: 01261
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 100x150 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Atlas, Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Bernardyński Square, Bernardine Church, green area, tram tracks
The former Dominican Roman Catholic Church is the biggest Baroque church in Lviv. This massive monument of the Christian architecture has become the main component of the architectural complex dating to the fifteenth-nineteenth centuries including also the buildings of the monastery cells and the bell tower. The church was built from stone and brick over the course of 1749-1764 (the architects J. de Vitte, M. Urbanik and K. Muradowicz) on the site of a Gothic church of the fifteenth century, on the plot of land bordering the medieval Lviv on the west. In 1792-1798 the church was reconstructed (by the architect K. Fesinger). In 1905-1914 the interior restoration was completed. A square and a garden have been set up in front of the church. Under Socialism, the building housed the Museum of Atheism, later Museum of the History of Religion.
The bell tower is a component of the architectural ensemble of the Dominican Monastery (dating to the fifteenth-nineteenth centuries), the base of which is formed by the late Baroque church and the cell block. The bell tower was erected in 1865 (by the architect J. Braunzeiss) and built onto the church from the north.