St. Nicolas church and the old university



ID number:
02311
Title:
St. Nicolas church and the old university
City:
Subject:
Church, university, balustrade, public garden
Creator:
Jan Bulhak
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
17х11 cm
Copyright:
Juriy Zaverbnyj
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 09710
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject:
ID: 01010
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1965
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
ID: 09638
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1939
Format: 11x17 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Bohdan Choliy
Subject:
ID: 00944
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: B. Babanova
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Classroom, students, teacher, lab equipment
Chernivtsi
ID: 03855
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1905-1914
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Czernowitz, Universitätsgasse, Universität
ID: 09688
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Street, park, university, architecture, sculpture, people
ID: 02799
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1975
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
ID: 05803
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1949
Format: 10x15 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject:
ID: 02765
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1907
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: J. Tennenbaum, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Universität
Former St. Nicholas Roman Catholic Church (presently the Greek Catholic Church of the Protection of the Mother of God) was built beyond the limits of the city’s center. It is located in the region of a former southern suburb on the site of an old wooden church that dated to the end of the seventeenth century. The main construction periods are 1739-1745 (by the architects F. Placidi or K. Hranatskyi?), and 1924-1926 (partial reconstruction of the cells, by the architect Tadeusz Wróbel).
A former convent school, later – a Lviv University building. It was originally built in 18th century, one of the major reconstructions was carried out in 1842 according to design of Fidelis Stadler. It is an example of Neo-Classicism in Lviv. It was built for a Jesuit convent school for young people from noble families. Later it housed military barracks. In 1851 it was transferred to the ownership of Lviv Franz-Joseph I University. Today (2015) it is one of Lviv Ivan Franko National University, it's Biology Department is located here.