Archangel Michael cathedral (St. Michael church now)



ID number:
02184
Title:
Archangel Michael cathedral (St. Michael church now)
City:
Subject:
Church, building, architecture
Creator:
Leon Czechowicz
Publisher:
Unpublished resources
Date:
1930-1939
Format:
14x9 cm
Copyright:
Andriy Otko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 08087
City: Olesko
Date: 1980-1985
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Street, church, architecture
ID: 02092
City: Lviv
Date: 1895-1900
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Street, church, monastery, architecture, wall
ID: 02368
City: Lviv
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, mountain
ID: 00370
City: Lviv
Date: 1929
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Square, Rynok square, tower, restoration, line, people
ID: 01258
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 150х100 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Ksiaznica-Atlas", Lwow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: St. Mary Magdalene Church
ID: 02008
City: Lviv
Date: 1926
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Jan Bulhak
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Church, square, St. Jan from Duklia column
ID: 01999
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Adam Lenkiewicz
Publisher: "Ruch", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Yanivska, Horodoka streets, St. Anna church
ID: 01255
City: Lviv
Date: 1941-1944
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Church, architecture, pillar of St. John of Dukla, the area
ID: 02166
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Street, church, building parish, stairs, city greenery
The former Barefoot Carmelite Roman Catholic Church (presently St. Michael Church, 20 Vynnychenka Street) is a Baroque construction. The church was constructed on a hill beyond the limits of the old defensive walls. Together with the cells buildings and the defensive wall standing along the driveway of Prosvity and Vynnychenka Streets, the church forms a single architectural ensemble that over the course of the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries had a defensive purpose protecting the city from the east. The main construction chronology dates connected with this object are 1634 (erecting the main section of the building, by the architect Ya. Pokorovych), the second half of the seventeenth century (adding the defensive walls, by the engineer J. Berens), the seventeenth-eighteenth centuries (monastery complex), 1835-1839 (construction of a bell tower, by the architect A. Vondrashka) and 1906 (erection of a bell tower and restoration, by the architect V. Halytskyi).