Our Lady of the Snow Church



ID number:
02180
Title:
Our Lady of the Snow Church
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Church of Our Lady of the Snow, city construction, Our Lady statue, people, traders, trading booths
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Date:
1904
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Ihor Kotlobulatov
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Nakł. S.W. Niemojowski. Lwów
75946 Lwów. Kościół Maryi Śnieżnej.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 13774
City: Lviv
Date: 1941
Format: Unknown
Creator: Wilhelm Demmer
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Dietrich Demmer
Subject: street, city, religious buildings, architecture, building, church, people
ID: 09323
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Oleksadr Moskalenko
Subject:
ID: 02361
City: Lviv
Date: 1920-1927
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Church, courtyard, gallery
ID: 01259
City: Vienna
Date: 1900-1914
Format: 140x90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: The cathedral, architecture, transportation
ID: 02312
City: Lviv
Date: 1890-1895
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Juriy Zaverbnyj
Subject: Holy Trinity church and St. Nicolas
Chernivtsi
ID: 03419
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1910
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: Tempel, architecture, street, people
ID: 01350
City: Lviv
Date: 1880-1890
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Building of the seminary, belfry of the Holy Spirit Church, courtyard, seminarians
ID: 00693
City: Holobutiv
Date: 1914-1915
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Kriegsbilder=Zentrale, Berlin
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Church, ruins, sculpture
Chernivtsi
ID: 03387
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1910
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, street, synagogue, architecture
Former Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary of Snow (presently the Greek Catholic church of the Mother of God) is one of the oldest Christian churches of Lviv; it was founded by German colonists during the late Middle Ages. The main construction periods are the thirteenth century (erection of a wooden church), the years around 1350 (stone Roman Catholic Church), the seventeenth century (reconstruction), the eighteenth century (fixing up the interior), 1888-1892 (reconstruction by the architect Julian Zachariewicz, when Neo-Roman elements were introduced).  

The Church of Virgin Mary of Snow, one of the oldest churches in the city, was reconstructed in the late nineteenth century by architect Julian Zachariewicz. After the renovation of the exterior and the interior of the church was completed, a statue of Virgin Mary was installed on a pedestal to the right of the church's main entrance. The statue was taken from the Missionaries Church in the suburb of Zamarstynów/Zamarstyniv. The prevailing opinion among art historians is that the statue was authored by Johann Georg Pinsel (1768). The statue “quietly” perished in the 1970s.