Lublin Union Mound

ID number:
Lublin Union Mound
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
Jan Bromilski, Lwow
90х140 mm
Taras Pinyazhko
On obverse:
In Polish: Lwów. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład: Lwowskie Wydawnictwo Leon Propst 1915

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.


ID: 09734
City: Lviv
Date: 1940-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Hill of Glory, soldiers-tank
ID: 00059
City: Lviv
Date: 2003
Format: Unknown
Creator: Richard Gatward
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Richard Gatward
Subject: Smolka Square, monument
ID: 08134
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Park, monument, sculpture
ID: 10194
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1985
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Museum, monument
ID: 01932
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1905
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zakald svitlodrukiv, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Marjacki Square, well, sculpture, Hotel George
ID: 08056
City: Kyiv
Date: 1955-1960
Format: 15х10 сm
Creator: Illya Pavlyk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Oleksandr Korobov
Subject: Monument, architecture, sculpture, park named after Shevchenko, university
ID: 00812
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakiv cemetery, trees, Maria Konopnicka monument, pioneers, flowers
ID: 12104
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1975
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: people, school, children, schoolchildren, monument, portrait
ID: 03762
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1924-1939
Format: 120х170 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, Central Square, Monument

Vysoky Zamok municipal park sits north of the city center, astride Lviv Castle Hill. Both park and hill take their name from the ruined fortress on the territory. Opened in 1835, the park’s landscaped hillsides are crisscrossed by a network of trails through lower and upper terraces. In the second half of the 19th century, an artificial mound was erected on the upper terrace as a marker of the Union of Lublin, and topped by a scenic viewpoint. A walkway beneath stands of ash and chestnut trees beautify the lower terrace.

The construction of the Lublin Union Mound (pol. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej) began in 1869 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the union between Poland, Lithuania, and Ruthenia on the initiative of Franciszek Smolka, a Polish politician and Lviv citizen. Today there is an observation area there, one of the most popular tourist destinations of the city.