Lublin Union Mound



ID number:
01918
Title:
Lublin Union Mound
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Date:
1915
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Taras Pinyazhko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Lwów. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład: Lwowskie Wydawnictwo Leon Propst 1915

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01415
City: Lviv
Date: 1988
Format: 10x20 cm
Creator: Jevhen Derlemenko
Publisher: Publishing House "Mystectvo", Kyiv
Copyright: There are no Known Restrictions on the Usage of this Image
Subject: Monument, Mitskevycha Square, buildings No. 8-9-10, Roman Catholic Cathedral, monument to Ivan Franko
ID: 01504
City: Lviv
Date: 1946-1948
Format: 4,5x6 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Monument to Aleksander Fredro, green area, Akademicki Square, Desniaka Street, building No. 28 in Akademichna Street
ID: 00930
City: Lviv
Date: 1952
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Pershoho travnia street, platform, people, ceremony, buildings
ID: 03551
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator:
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Memorial sign
ID: 01075
City: Lviv
Date: 1979
Format: 13x8,5 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Subject: Mickiewicz monument, Mickiewicz Square, a man, building No. 8, the cathedral, the building on Teatralna Street 2
ID: 10190
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1985
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park, Ivan Franko University in Lviv
ID: 01978
City: Lviv
Date: 1925-1939
Format: 11х8 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Column, sculpture, Bernardine church, Bernardine square
ID: 10416
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Plakat", Moscow
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Royal Arsenal, Dominican Church, square
ID: 00576
City: Lviv
Date: 1860-1870
Format: 10х14 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Monument, building, street

Vysoky Zamok municipal park sits north of the city center, astride Lviv Castle Hill. Both park and hill take their name from the ruined fortress on the territory. Opened in 1835, the park’s landscaped hillsides are crisscrossed by a network of trails through lower and upper terraces. In the second half of the 19th century, an artificial mound was erected on the upper terrace as a marker of the Union of Lublin, and topped by a scenic viewpoint. A walkway beneath stands of ash and chestnut trees beautify the lower terrace.

The construction of the Lublin Union Mound (pol. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej) began in 1869 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the union between Poland, Lithuania, and Ruthenia on the initiative of Franciszek Smolka, a Polish politician and Lviv citizen. Today there is an observation area there, one of the most popular tourist destinations of the city.