Lublin Union Mound



ID number:
01918
Title:
Lublin Union Mound
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Date:
1915
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Taras Pinyazhko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Lwów. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład: Lwowskie Wydawnictwo Leon Propst 1915

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01586
City: Lviv
Date: 1995-2000
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Serhiy Tereshchenko
Subject: Market Square, City Hall
ID: 01502
City: Lviv
Date: 1903
Format: 14x9 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zaklad swiatlodrukow, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument, Akademicki Square, buildings
ID: 09785
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1970
Format: Unknown
Creator: O. Yanovskyy
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Ivan Franko park
ID: 00838
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakivska Street, monument, green area, growth, people
ID: 01889
City: Lviv
Date: 1947
Format: 13х9 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Kościuszko Park, Monument to Count Agenor Gołuchowski, military man, young women
ID: 09739
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Vasyl Pylypjuk
Publisher: "Radianska Ukraina", Kyiv
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Monument, Adam Mickiewicz
ID: 01540
City: Lviv
Date: 1934 - 1939
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Collonade of the Main Gate to the Eaglet Cemetary
ID: 02965
City: Lviv
Date: 1946-1950
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Monument to King Jan III Sobieski, 1 Travnia str., boulevard, kiosks, tramways
ID: 00839
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Monument, Miczkiewicz Square, people, military people, sign on a building, electric lanterns

Vysoky Zamok municipal park sits north of the city center, astride Lviv Castle Hill. Both park and hill take their name from the ruined fortress on the territory. Opened in 1835, the park’s landscaped hillsides are crisscrossed by a network of trails through lower and upper terraces. In the second half of the 19th century, an artificial mound was erected on the upper terrace as a marker of the Union of Lublin, and topped by a scenic viewpoint. A walkway beneath stands of ash and chestnut trees beautify the lower terrace.

The construction of the Lublin Union Mound (pol. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej) began in 1869 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the union between Poland, Lithuania, and Ruthenia on the initiative of Franciszek Smolka, a Polish politician and Lviv citizen. Today there is an observation area there, one of the most popular tourist destinations of the city.