Lublin Union Mound



ID number:
01918
Title:
Lublin Union Mound
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Date:
1915
Format:
90х140 mm
Copyright:
Taras Pinyazhko
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
On obverse:
In Polish: Lwów. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej.
On reverse:
In Polish: Nakład: Lwowskie Wydawnictwo Leon Propst 1915

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01918
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Jan Bromilski, Lwow
Copyright: Taras Pinyazhko
Subject: Lublin Union Mound, viewing platform, people, castle wall
ID: 01540
City: Lviv
Date: 1934 - 1939
Format: 14х9 сm
Creator: Leon Czechowicz
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Andriy Otko
Subject: Collonade of the Main Gate to the Eaglet Cemetary
ID: 10678
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: R. Yakymenko
Publisher: R. Yakymenko
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: Lychakiv Cemetery, memorials, monument to I. Franko, alley
ID: 01896
City: Lviv
Date: 1901-1905
Format: 140х90 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Zakald svitlodrukiv, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument to S. Jabłonowski, Łukasińskiego Street (now Nyzkyi Zamok), fence, city vegetation
ID: 01573
City: Lviv
Date: 1912-1920
Format: 20x30 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Monument, Akademichna Street, Trade and Industry Chamber
ID: 00833
City: Lviv
Date: 1949
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Krakivska Square, rally, green area, memorial stella
ID: 00838
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1955
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Central State Kinofotofono Archive after G.S. Pshenychny
Subject: Lychakivska Street, monument, green area, growth, people
ID: 01880
City: Lviv
Date: 1901
Format: 14х10 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Stefan Wierusz Niemojowski, Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Fredro monument, green area, city construction
ID: 01901
City: Lviv
Date: 1930-1939
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Juliusz Rodkowski
Publisher: Printing House "Narodowa", Lwow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Zamkova ("Castle") hill, park, memorial boulder for King Jan III Sobieski

Vysoky Zamok municipal park sits north of the city center, astride Lviv Castle Hill. Both park and hill take their name from the ruined fortress on the territory. Opened in 1835, the park’s landscaped hillsides are crisscrossed by a network of trails through lower and upper terraces. In the second half of the 19th century, an artificial mound was erected on the upper terrace as a marker of the Union of Lublin, and topped by a scenic viewpoint. A walkway beneath stands of ash and chestnut trees beautify the lower terrace.

The construction of the Lublin Union Mound (pol. Kopiec Unii Lubelskiej) began in 1869 in honor of the 300th anniversary of the union between Poland, Lithuania, and Ruthenia on the initiative of Franciszek Smolka, a Polish politician and Lviv citizen. Today there is an observation area there, one of the most popular tourist destinations of the city.