Eaglets Cemetery



ID number:
01850
Title:
Eaglets Cemetery
City:
Description:

View of the Lwow Eaglets Memorial at the Lychakiv Cemetery, 1980s. The name "the Lwow Eaglets" refers to Poles fallen in the Polish-Ukrainian war of 1918-1919. Construction of the memorial took place from 1922 until 1939, but was never completed. In 1921 a competition was announced for a project of the Eaglet Cemetery. The competition was won by Rudolph Indruch, young engineer and student architect of the Lviv Polytechnic. The first stage of the project's implementation consisted in building a chapel. The cornerstone for this was laid on June 26, 1922. The chapel was consecrated on September 28, 1924. On May 30, 1925, a monument to American aviators was unveiled. Construction of catacombs lasted from the beginning of the project until October, 1932. April 28, 1929 was the day the cornerstone laying ceremony for the Glory Monument took place. The monument was subsequently unveiled on November 11, 1934. The 12-column portico bears the inscription "Mortui sunt, ut liberi vivamus." ("They are dead, but we live free.") A monument to the French Infantrymen was built on May 26, 1938 by the right wing of the catacombs. The cemetery sustained significant destruction in the Second World War and the early postwar years. Its final liquidation took place in the early 1970s. The graves were covered over with soil, the architectural elements - the collonade, the central stairs, and the sculptures of lions - were demolished. The present image shows a view of the Memorial's remains from the side of the Pohulianka. Renovation of the memorial began in 1989 by the efforts of the employees of the Polish company "Energopol." The unveiling ceremony for the reconstructed memorial was held in 2005.

Entry by: Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Cemetery, monument, chapel
Creator:
Unknown
Publisher:
Publishing house "Eliot"
Date:
1980
Format:
10х14,5 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Widok na zniszczone kamienne schody, prowadzące w dół projektowanej bramy w murze południowym od Pohulanki i Łuk Triumfalny Pomnika Chwały z lat 80-tych.

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 01852
City: Lviv
Date: 1915
Format: 9х14 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: Austrian Military Cemetery
ID: 11026
City: Lviv
Date: 1926
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Lesya Krypiakevych
Subject:
ID: 00818
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 17х11 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Memorial, monument, greenery
ID: 03234
City: Lviv
Date: 1909-1910
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Lederer & Popper, Prague
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cemetery, memorial, monument, sculpture
ID: 11300
City: Kramatorsk
Date: 1910-1925
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Manfred Blonn
Subject: grave
ID: 08214
City: Lviv
Date: 1965-1970
Format: 15х10 cm
Creator: Leonid Zapadenko
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Leonid Zapadenko
Subject: Cemetery, memorial, burial
ID: 00817
City: Lviv
Date: 1964
Format: 17х12 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Mykhailo Tsimerman
Subject: Memorial, monuments, alley, greenery
ID: 09746
City: Lviv
Date:
Format:
Creator: Unknown
Publisher:
Copyright:
Subject: Memorial, the main entrance, public garden, greenery
ID: 00633
City: Lviv
Date: 1922-1929
Format: 90x140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Habeka", Krakow
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Cemetery of Defenders of Lviv, Chapel, Monument to American aviators, graves

The Polish military memorial or the Cemetery of the defenders of Lviv, also called the Cemetery of Eaglets (Cmentarz Orląt), is located on a plot below Lychakivsky cemetery. The Poles who fought against the Western Ukrainian People’s Republic in 1918 and against the Bolsheviks in 1920, those fallen in the German-Polish war of 1939 and participants of the Resistance Movement (1922-1944) were buried there. In 1971 the cemetery was destroyed by the Soviet authorities; a part of its territory was occupied by Banakha street which was built in the same year. In 1989-2005 the memorial was partially reconstructed.