Vynnychenka Street



ID number:
01845
Title:
Vynnychenka Street
City:
Description:

The picture presents the eastern side of Panska St (“Lords’ St.”). around the mid-nineteenth century. Panska St. was laid in place of an old road that ran along the western side of the external fortification wall, which surrounded the city center. In 1544 the street was known as Szeroka za Bernardynami (“Broad Street behind the Bernardines”), and after the Governor’s palace was constructed – as Pańska wyższa (“Upper Panska St.”). In 1871 the street was renamed Charnieckiego St., and beginning in 1940 it was known as Radianska (“Soviet”). In July 1941 the street was again renamed Czarnieckiego, in December 1941 it was given the name of Distriktstrasse, and from July through December 1944 the street was known as Charnetskoho/Czarnieckiego. In 1992 the street was named Vynnychenka St., in honor of writer Volodymyr Vynnychenko. To the right on the picture is the palace built in 1821 for the Governors of Galicia (the buiding now houses the Session Hall of the Regional Council (No. 16 in Vynnychenka St.); building No. 18 is the Chołoniewskis Palace (no longer extant); building No. 20 once held a postal carriage station, servicing the Lviv – Vienna route. A park with lanes, surrounded by trees and decorative hedges, was built where the ditches and bulwarks had once stood, based on the project of Provincial Counsellor Wilhelm Reizenheim. The new park instantly became a favorite place for city strollers, and was named Wały Gubernatorskie (Governor’s Bulwarks) because of its proximity to the Governor’s residence. A new building of the Galician Viceregency was built in place of the Chołoniewskis Palace and the stagecoach station (the building now houses the Regional State Administration).
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Panska Street, Governor's Palace, Chołoniewskis Palace, Governor's Bulwarks, horsemen
Creator:
Karl Auer
Publisher:
Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1837
Format:
16,3х23,6 сm; 22х28,6 сm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Auer rys. іlit. u P. Pillera we Lwowie
Pańska ul. we Lwowie

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 00456
City: Lviv
Date: 1880-1890
Format: 14х10 cm
Creator: Josef Eder
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv National Library after V.Stefanyk NAS of Ukraine
Subject: View on former Podvale str., The Church of Body of Christ of the Dominikan order, Royal arsenal
ID: 02766
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1901
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: S. Kiesler, Czernowitz
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Czernowitz, Rathausstrasse, street, people, shops
ID: 01450
City: Khmelnytskyi
Date: 1914
Format: 15х23 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Serhiy Esiunin
Subject: Proskuriv, the Old Market, Naberezhna Street, St. Anne’s Cathedral
ID: 03423
City: Brody
Date: 1915
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Claudia Erdheim, Das Stetl. Galizien und Bukowina 1890–1918. Album Verlag, Wien 2008.
Copyright: Claudia Erdheim
Subject: City, street, stores, trading, people
ID: 00189
City: Lviv
Date: 1950-1960
Format: Unknown
Creator: Julian Dorosh
Publisher: Halytska Brama, Lviv
Copyright: Andriy Dorosh
Subject: street, building, people, car, river, bridge, house
ID: 13186
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, factory, bus, trolleybus
ID: 08685
City: Lviv
Date: 1963
Format: 10x15 сm
Creator: Jaroslav Yanchak
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Jaroslav Janchak
Subject: Streets, buildings, architecture, paving, public garden, people
ID: 03822
City: Chernivtsi
Date: 1890-1894
Format: 120х160 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Streets, Orhodox Church
Prypyat'
ID: 13800
City: Prypyat'
Date: 1970-1986
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Lokal History Museum of Slavutych and Chornobyl NPP
Subject: avenue, street, people, building, tree
Former Kratter's townhouse which was reconstructed somewhat after 1829 to serve as the Governor's Palace.
Along the eastern end of the Lviv fortifications’ site, where the Governor’s Ramparts once stood, lies a greenway tucked between Pidvalna and Vynnychenka Streets. In 1821, gubernatorial counselor Reitsenheim led the initiative to establish the greenway on the leveled rampart slopes. In the 1850s, strong winds leveled old-growth trees in the park; the park was later renovated with a design from municipal horticulturist Karl Bauer.