Military Swimming Pool



ID number:
01843
Title:
Military Swimming Pool
City:
Description:

The southern foot of the Poznańska Hill was skirted by a creek flowing out of Vulka, which formed a small pond. The land plots were owned by citizen Andrzej Pełka, who gave his name to the pond, known as Pełczyński/Pelchynskyi. The Lviv chronicles hold a curious mention of this place, according to which it was once home to “a vodianyk (water-deity) who made boots for all the vodianyky of Lviv”. From 1820 onwards the basin was used as a military swimming school. The building of the swimming pool was constructed in 1821, based on a project by architect Wilhelm Schmidt. In 1843 the Pełczyński pond was the site of a “sea battle”, when fully armed and dressed infantry- and cavalrymen performed military routines in the water. A theatrical performance was held on the pond in 1845, with all proceeds from it going to benefit victims of a recent flood. A grand fairy-scene was staged for the amusement of Lviv’s residents, depicting picturesque characters in boats (“Turks”, “Negroes” and “Sailors”), who battled sea monsters (the serpents, crocodiles, whales and sirens were especially crafted from cardboard). The performance created an indelible impression on the residents, and was reflected in the contemporary press and literature. The pond was drained in 1915, and covered with soil in 1921.
Oleh Vvedenskyi

Subject:
Military swimming pool, Pełczyński Pond, swimming pool building, horsemen, passersby, carriage
Creator:
Karl Auer
Publisher:
Piotr Piller, Lemberg
Date:
1837
Format:
16,2х23 cm; 22х28,8 cm
Copyright:
Oleh Vvedenskyi
Collection:
Category:
Technique:
Inscriptions:
Auer rys. ilit. u P. Pillera we Lwowie
C. k. woyskowy zakład pływania we Lwowie

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 03046
City: Lviv
Date: 1892
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Pelchensky pond, military swimming school, street, mountain, citadel

The first outside swimming pool in Lviv with a military swimming school was opened in 1820 on the Pelczynski pond. It used to be located on the site within the present street of Vitovskoho street and the point where it crossed Sakharova street. The building of the  bathing place at the eastern boundary of the pond was constructed in 1821 by a builder Wilhelm Schmidt, according to the plans of the general Johann Karl Fresnel-Curel von Henneguin. It placed a swimming school (initially, it was a military school, later — a civilian one). Pelczynski pond was filled in in 1921. The building of the bathing place has not been preserved. Today, we only have preserved the remains of the pond dam – it is a fountain in front of the main entrance to the B. Khmelnytskyi Park of Culture and Recreation. Presently, on the site of the pond, in its western section, there are facilities of the Palace of Sports "Dynamo" and the building of the Security Service of Ukraine in Lviv Region.