Building at 11, Rynok Square



ID number:
01622
Title:
Building at 11, Rynok Square
City:
Description:
Image description is temporarily available only in: Ukrainian
Subject:
Rynok square, buildings, tram, electric lamp-posts, Roman Catholic Cathedral
Creator:
Edward Trzemeski
Publisher:
Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Date:
1895-1900
Format:
16х23,5 cm
Copyright:
Lviv Historical Museum
Collection:
Category:
Technique:

Suggestions: If you have additional information regarding this particular visual source or want to team up with our UID project, please send us your comments.

Related

ID: 02936
City: Lviv
Date: 1945-1955
Format: Unknown
Creator: Volodymyr Melnyk
Publisher: Unknown
Copyright: Ihor Melnyk
Subject: Yaroslava Mudroho street, st. George cathedral
ID: 02872
City: Brody
Date: 1929
Format: 90х140 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: "Wspolczesna Sztuka", Przemysl
Copyright: Library of the Institute of Ethnology, Lviv
Subject: Skurna street, people, trade
ID: 09076
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1980
Format: 11х17 сm
Creator: Juriy Gaskevych
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Juriy Gaskevych
Subject: Street, buildings, architecture
ID: 03808
City: Chernivtsi
Date: Interwar years (1918-1939)
Format: 90х130 mm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Agentia Romana Hachette, Bucuresti
Copyright: Helmut Kusdat
Subject: Cernăuţi, Monument, Street
ID: 13255
City: Lviv
Date: 1960-1980
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Volodymyr Rumyantsev
Subject: street, building, people, children, sacral building
ID: 01393
City: Lviv
Date: 1879
Format: 22х29 cm
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Ihor Kotlobulatov
Subject: Kraszewskiego Street, Jesuit Park, Słowackiego street
ID: 12450
City: Lviv
Date: 1975-1990
Format: Unknown
Creator: Tanas Nykyforuk
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: Center for Urban History of East Central Europe
Subject: street, people
ID: 01390
City: Lviv
Date: 1890
Format: 10х16 сm
Creator: Edward Trzemeski
Publisher: Publishing House "Centr Europy", Lviv
Copyright: Lviv Historical Museum
Subject: Jagiełłońska Street, Angielski ("English") Hotel, Credit Bank
ID: 12866
City: Lviv
Date: February 6th, 1938
Format: Unknown
Creator: Unknown
Publisher: Unpublished resources
Copyright: State Archives of Lviv Region
Subject: street, building, functionalism, architecture
The building is one of the most well-known Renaissance constructions in Lviv. It used  to be the residence of the Ambassador of the Venice Republic. The construction chronology includes the periods of the late 1580’s (by the architect Petro Shchaslyvyi), the seventeenth century, reconstructions of the nineteenth-twentieth centuries and restoration of 1936. The historic name “Massari House” is derived from the name of its old owner who served as the Ambassador of the Venice Republic in Lviv. Massari house is currently used as a residential building (2008).  
This building was erected in the fifteenth century, and its medieval vaults and ceilings have been preserved until the present day. In the nineteenth century it was significantly reconstructed and in its present condition it indicates the nature of the changes which occurred to the late medieval architecture of Lviv during the Revival styles period. The building displays the characteristic attributes of Gothics (planning structure and the vaults of the first floor) that were later complimented with the Revival styles motifs in the decoration of the second-fourth floors as a result of reconstructions of the second half of the nineteenth century.